Jonathan Gold has died

KPCC Take Two had a segment on J. Gold this morning. First fifteen minutes or so.
KPCC Take Two: Jonathon Gold

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this lovely tribute. You expressed so wonderfully the kind of relationship I imagine many of us feel we had with him and, correspondingly, food and community. :heart:

2 Likes

I didn’t know my friend all that well at the time so I don’t know the particulars. But he’s at the point now where he gets radiation less and less often - as in months apart. They travel, go to social events, dine out, he’s the main cook in the family, etc. I’m 71 and I know that they’re both older than I am.

anyone heard anything about a public memorial?

Oh how sad. I guess it just goes to show how admired he was in an industry that often has an adversarial relationship with critics.

I was about to start dinner when a text came in from a chef friend. It then only seemed right to go eat out.

Found this picture from a few days after Christmas 2016. J. Gold and his wife were lovely and kind; they were headed into Baohaus but were so gracious to stop and chat and take a photo (the only photo I have with any kind of “celebrity”). I can’t imagine what his family must be going through when we, who really only knew him through his writing, are grieving his loss so deeply.

Funny side story: The manager of Baohaus at the time was sitting outside doing work on a laptop when J. Gold stepped in. I walked up to him and said, “Dude, that’s the LA Times food critic, Jonathan Gold!” He replied, “Are you sure?” :joy:

17 Likes

Great post @JeetKuneBao

That’s funny @ElsieDee. Cath deleted her post, so I didn’t know what was up until clicking your link. I had screenshot-ed that list yesterday and was just going to post it!!

2 Likes

That’s great!

1 Like

Here ya’ go.

8 Likes

I just remembered this exchange I had with JGold from a few years ago on Twitter. I’m going to pretend that it’s all thanks to this that Chef Zone gave us Howlin’ Ray’s. :rofl:

17 Likes

thanks for your kind words. we all share the loss.

1 Like

Yah, I had to stop discussing my feelings - on the family text thread - about the loss of JGold and what it means to the city of L.A. They were being polite, but probably wished I would shut up.

He definitely deserves one.

2 Likes

Awesome!!!

1 Like

Very few people in my circle understand my sadness with @thejgold’s untimely passing. This board and thread have been comforting.

6 Likes

Whoa, that is incredible! Thank you for inspiring him to open Howlin’ Rays! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha. I’m pretty sure it was already in the works. :smiley:

2 Likes

It was you! :smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

I :heart: that video.
JGold continues to inspire cool shit!