July 2020 Rundown

Big Chicken in Glendale. Shaq’s place.

The pained look on his face is because he couldn’t handle the heat from the chicken he had minutes before at Prince’s chicken in Nashville.

I liked it, but I wouldn’t compare to anything but a fast food chicken sandwich.

M.D.E.
Chicken, pickles, Shaq sauce (like a smoky chipotle Mayo)
Lightly seasoned. Not spicy. Kind of like CFA, but it was SUPER juicy. Pouring down my arm juicy.

UNCLE JEROME
Nashville hot chicken, lettuce mayo pickle
Heat is one note. All you taste too. For me the heat is mild, though I could see some saying it was too hot for them. The heat is just brushed or tossed on it. The coating is the same as the MDE, but you can’t taste it.

The fries are wide like steak fries, but really thin. They were perfect for dipping in any number of their sauces.

They served Stubborn soda. Yum!

7 Likes

That boiled lettuce tho lol

2 Likes

Yup, hand harvested and hand cut iceberg from the premier cru fields of Salinas, a very classic Hong Kong cafe touch. I suppose it was also on sale! Just glad it wasn’t broccoli, frozen peas and carrots!

1 Like

I was once in eating at a relatively popular roast goose restaurant Tin Hung off the Yuen Long stop on the MTR. I asked them for a vegetable offering to cut the richness of the goose and they said the only thing they could make was stir fried lettuce :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Not surprised, I think Yat Lok Central gave the same classic iceberg last time I went, and their noodle broth was pretty horrible lol.

Oh yeah I know of Tin Hung…walked by there 6++ years ago. Unfortunately I had already eaten shrimp roe noodles at Ho To Tai, and probably ate a couple other things in the area, so didn’t have much quota left.

Photos of Tin Hung’s drumstick fest off the net

GOOSE3

With a rich roast beast like that, you’re better off cutting it with a bottle of Barolo or Rioja Gran Reserva :laughing:, premier cru iceberg just won’t do!

4 Likes

Ho To Tai is delicious I actually really enjoyed their shrimp wontons too!

Now that would be a sight to see BYOing at a siu mei hole in the wall with a bottle of Barolo or Rioja Gran, the side eye you would receive from all the old aunties and uncles…

1 Like

So glad this was brought up, because Yat Lok is amazing. Is there any place to get comparable roast goose in LA? Seems like Sham Tseng in Monterey Park is the only game in town.

Have you tried the spinach and potato curry there? It’s one of my fav dishes anywhere. :slight_smile:

Based on your rec, we had Emporium Thai last night.

Green papaya salad (medium spicy), UCLA curry (pumpkin curry; also medium), massaman. All quite good, although the pumpkin curry doesn’t have the richness or complexity of Jitlada’s (which I last had many, MANY yrs ago). Medium spicy was at the lower end of pleasantly spicy, so chili heads should not be afraid to turn up the heat (I think they had 3 levels?).

Food was def more vibrant (both in flavor and in ingredient quality) than the local Thai places (N+Ms, excepted). Food was also, as mentioned elsewhere, way more expensive than our usual takeout (but not more than N+M, I think). This’ll be a special-occasion Thai place for us. :slight_smile:

Some treats from Delvigne at the Culver City FM. Not bad. The pistachio danish tasted mainly (solely?) of frangipane. Plum danish had a very nice flavor, but the plums on top were quite firm.

I had the pastries several hrs after they were purchased (which possibly means several hrs after they were made). The croissant was totally soft by then, but the laminations and good buttery flavor are promising. I look forward to trying a fresher croissant from them.

5 Likes

Another Bruin favorite is Thai Fresh, which is located in a nook just north of the corner of Westwood Blvd. & SM Blvd. (near Ramayani).

1 Like

Ooh, I haven’t tried that one. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I need to go to mid-city this afternoon. Any suggestions for what I should pick up?

Apollonia / Republique bang bang.

5 Likes

Are the squares still only available on Friday?

I think they have them more often now but probably best to call ahead or check their IG.

Also Ktown sun nong dan spicy kalbijjim, Ta Eem Chicken pargiot, anything your heart desires at Luv2Eat, Mozza2Go, and Uncle Paulies italian grinder.

1 Like

They’ve been doing them daily recently but I‘d call to check first.

Top Round Roast Beef also in the area if you’re in the mood for a bang^3

3 Likes

Checked out the new Katsu Sando shop across from Far East Plaza. Hearing they were making a honey walnut shrimp katsu, needed to get it. Figured I would order two since i was over there. They recommended the Menchi Katsu. It was fine, the shrimp was the real winner. Ordered some waffles fries which were really nice and crisp.

13 Likes

That sounds… brilliant. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear Lord I missed this place.

Salsa & Beer, North Hollywood

They are doing a great job here, other than not having any kind of online ordering. You place the order separated by plexiglass. They have one entrance in, and the flow is one-way, you walk out a different exit to minimize contact with any others.

But they took their side parking area and turned it into a giant patio.

We got takeout and went to Johnny Carson Park.

Car-garitas
Didn’t drink and drive. These were for wifey. This location has a full liquor license. So yes, tequila. These were quite refreshing and loaded with booze LOL

Asada y camarones

Carnitas (side order)
Look at how much meat you get for a side order. $4.99!!! This is really the same as an entree portion. Difference is only no rice and beans. Crisped up. So good.

Carne Asada (side order)
Again, $4.99!!! And again, a full entree-sized portion. Smokey good.

Carne Asada Fajita Burrito

They packed creamy spicy green salsa, roja, chips and bean dip and tortillas. Utensils, etc.

Packed beautifully!!

Receipt because I still can’t believe how inexpensive this was!

11 Likes

Your love for Salsa & Beer reminds me of those memes that proclaim “Find someone to love you like…”

Thank you for this.

3 Likes

How long did it take to get your food? Did they text you or…?