July 2022 Rundown

We are going to need some pics of you consuming this 10 x 10 monster. You will be a FTC legend!

I remember eating 4 x 4’s at In N Out as a constantly hungry growing young man. That took everything in me to finish.

4 Likes

I’m out of town this weekend but will tackle it next week. Photos to come.

1 Like

Get THIS (or is this smaller than what you offered to do?)

Edit: yes, this is a photo from Easy Street Burgers

You should attempt it on August 24th or 25th, because August 26th is National Toilet Paper Day

15 Likes

Thanks to @Gr8pimpin I decided to hop over to my local outpost of For The Win in Whittier.

It’s in a plaza with a liquor store and some other small businesses. If I wasn’t looking for it, I’d probably drive by without noticing.

No photos since I was in a rush and couldn’t have time to eat in-house. I will say that the folks working here are really nice.

The fries, I thought were really good. They reminded me of the McDonald’s fries I had growing up. Crispy, hot, pillowy soft interior and salted just right. Those I ate while driving in the car.

The burgers themselves were okay. We did doubles. The kids really enjoyed it. They said it was a tasty smash burger. I had a bite of one and thought it was okay. I should have tried it fresh.

8 Likes

Burger she wrote is by far the best smash burger in town, better than for the win and BNSD. I’ve had all of them 10+ times for reference.

6 Likes

Agree! I mentioned above when I went to For The Win, there was no crisp, the whole point of a smash burger.

I’ve only been to Burger She Wrote one time and… It was, ok. I had both burgers there. But based on the recommendation above I’ll obviously have to go back since I only have a sample size of the one visit.

So far, BNSD is my clear favorite

4 Likes

How about Tripp and Standings?

I’ve been eating like crap for the past few days (so won’t be trying it today…), but thanks for the rec. I think this is a bit closer than the other places mentioned.

Huesti tacos from Pepe’s Red Tacos truck parked on Altadena Dr. near Foothill. I’ve seen it a number of times and always wondered about it, then read a glowing write-up in the LA Times and stopped the next time I was in the area. Two tacos (doubled-up corn tortillas were lightly fried but not crispy) filled with birria de res, and a split marrow bone was laid over the top; you spoon the marrow onto the tacos, very effectively gilding the lily. Onion, cilantro and lime to cut the richness, hot sauce to add even more flavor, very rich consommé to sip or spoon or dip your taco into. Nowhere to sit outside so I ate in my car, which was a challenge, as this was the kind of meal you want to eat in the bathtub. But what a glorious mess it was! I’m sure I will crave it long before I can justify having it again (it’s everything my doctor told me not to eat). Maybe there are even better versions out there, but this was my first, so it was special.

16 Likes

Picked up some goods from La Carniceria Waygu in Brea.

Jack’s Creek Australian Waygu 9+ - apparently the farm only releases 100 cattle a month and 2-3% have this kind of marbling.

Also picked up some carne asada, short rib, burger patties, and Kurabuta sausages (salsa verde & al pastor).

The steak cooked up nicely in the cast iron in the pizza oven. The burgers made for nice patty melts. The sausages packed a lot of flavor and were really juicy.

Family at-home dinner was quite fun.

21 Likes

Looks incredible, but you gotta show the finished product.

3 Likes

Ghisallo in Santa Monica is a top notch pizza restaurant with one of the nicer patios I’ve sat on in a while. They pride themselves on neopolitin pizzas but also a NY style slice. The Neopolitan was solid but the Ny style was truly superb and probably bested the slice I had at Bianco last week.

Friendly staff with a hip industrial bakery area in the front (sort of like Gjusta). Also had a very solid veal shoulder pasta and a great sparkling red. Easy to get a table at 5:30 but was packed by the time we left. This place is going to be a big hit if the word isn’t out already.

5 Likes

The meat looks great. Do you think it’s worth the cost? I haven’t been yet but heard good things.

2 Likes

For funsies, yes.

The burger patties and the sausages are reasonably priced at $6 per patty and $13/lb respectively. It’s a little out of the way for me, but I would likely come back for those two items.

The steak cooked up beautifully and we split it 4 ways. A couple of slices were more than enough for me because it was so rich. At $89/lb, the price made my oldest chowpup uncomfortable while we shopped in the store and chatted with butcher/owner/chef David Fuerte (who’s claim to fame was starting & selling the Masataco chain and currently chefs for Dodgers players).

Friday nights, he throws a taco night in the parking lot where you can sample his cooking and the proteins sold in the store. It is also located in the same location as the 7-11 store that’s been in the news for the last week.

A fair comparison would be to The Butchery down the street. I would likely go to The Butchery because there’s more of a selection. La Carniceria Waygu is limited to pre-made sandwiches, sausages, marinated carne asada/pollo/skewers, and steaks (filet, ribeye/tomahawk, Denver, short rib). The Butchery has seafood in addition to various cuts of pork, chicken, and lots of beef options. But if you were to compare the high-end options from both, you would find them comparable.

5 Likes

If you keep an eye on their IG, they usually have 20% off of their wagyu steaks on Mondays

5 Likes

Thanks @attran99. Maybe we’ll start slow with their burgers and sausages before diving into the wagyu deep end. We went to Bristol Farms the other week bc we had a BOGO prime rib eye coupon. We ended up getting 2 one lb steaks for $38 which is a great deal but for some reason I felt guilty spending that much.

2 Likes

Incredible looking SF triple-triple.

1 Like

I :heart: Pepe’s Red Tacos.

2 Likes

I’ll say! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Returned to Osteria del Fornaio in Santa Monica, and didn’t enjoy this visit as much as the first. The $15 sandwich isn’t particularly filling, and I had assumed the bread would be toasted. Yes, I understand that “panini” doesn’t literally mean toasted bread, but the pillow-y thing that they used for the corned beef was not a good match (IMHO). Flavor itself was good.

The ciliegini was… not good. The pasta was a clumpy, chewy mess, and the fava bean puree, to my palette, had no flavor at all (partner thought it had an oddly metallic flavor).

Yesterday, we tried to get into Rasselbock (no outdoor seating for “awhile”), Little Fatty (no outdoor seating for 1+ hrs), so we walked across the street to Taverna at The Mar Vista. Our first visit there, and I thought it was delicious (but I also know very little about Greek).

Sorry for the poor-quality pics. It was kind of dark outside.

Many of the inside tables are nicely spaced, and the huge windows to the small-ish patio roll over up (like a garage door).

We had the octopus, spanikopita, taramaslata, and traditional moussaka (they also have a vegan moussaka on the regular menu). All excellent (esp the moussaka). I personally like my spanikopita to have much cheese than this version, but partner liked it very much. The only “problem” was that the first 3 were all quite lemony, so the richness and savoriness of the moussaka was quite welcome. The octopus is a pretty generous portion for $16 (IMHO). The portions otherwise were on the smaller size, but such is the case w/ eating out nowadays.

I’m assuming the very affable man who checked in w/ us several times is the owner?

I can’t say whether this place is worth a huge drive, but, as someone who doesn’t live too far away, I would happily return again. If I were less of a pig, it’d be on my regular rotation.

6 Likes