Juneteenth Celebration

I must confess that I had never heard of Juneteenth until a few years ago when there was a display in the lobby of my building about it. And then it never occurred to me to celebrate it even after I learned about it. It’s a shame because it is a part of American history that is really worth celebrating. In any event, I’ve googled how to celebrate Juneteenth and lo and behold, it involves copious amounts of food! I am thinking about catering from one of the Black-owned businesses on Kat Hong’s list, but there are so many. Can anyone help me narrow it down? I’m based in the WSGV, but willing to drive a little for pick up. Delivery, obviously, would be awesome. Any ideas on what else to do on Juneteenth is appreciated as well.

5 Likes

I really love Juneteenth–Leimert Park has a wonderful celebration every year, usually around the walking plaza. While this year will be smaller, I’m almost positive people will still be out and about. The Compton Cowboys peace walk last weekend had a celebration vibe to it, and a protest feeling.

On food topic: Earle’s or Hawkins for take out type food. Food trucks (including my beloved African Chop Truck). The vegan, black owned Lettuce Feast food truck has an interesting sounding menu but they’ve been inundated with orders, so I’ve got a mental note to check them out in 90 days.

Not Juneteenth but still black celebration - I also want to go back to Al-Watan or Al-Noor during Ramadan for iftar.

6 Likes

I’m not sure how you get from Juneteenth.to Pakistani food.

I used to have friends who are black Muslims and celebrated Ramadan.

3 Likes

Hi @ChineseChou! Will it be a backyard picnic type thing? Or something else?

Yes. It’ll be on our deck. It seems like most of the celebrations are outdoors to take advantage of the summer weather.

2 Likes

Harold & Belle’s Creole on Jefferson is a tad pricey, but they give you a lot of food, it travels & reheats well and they do catering & takeout.

Trays of BBQ & sides are also a good option. My husband has been obsessed with trying Ribtown BBQ (truck) on Jefferson since @NYCtoLA posted about it. He’s gone 2 weekends in a row - 1st time they were already closing and 2nd time they weren’t there, probably because of the protests. But they’re getting some good reviews.

Happy Juneteenth Celebrating!

4 Likes

Thanks! Those are fantastic options. I love Harold and Belle’s and never thought they do catering.

1 Like

One of the highlighted chefs is Danielle Bell of de Porres, here in L.A. She and her partner are working on a special menu for Juneteenth.

3 Likes

Yes! I read that in the NYTimes too. But, it’s a bit pricey for me. It’s $75 for their Juneteenth menu, which looks amazing. Check it out. I’d be hardpressed to explain a $300+ meal at this time. Their previous menu was much more affordable and I’ll be happy to order from them at another time.

1 Like

You’ve probably checked their IG account, but in case not, it’s at

They post updates on their hours and when they close. They’re planning on being around this saturday. Also, I think they are open from 12 - 5pm, but I’d go for lunch rather than dinner. I seem to recall that they announce they’re sold out pretty frequently in the mid afternoon.

Hope you get to try it soon!

1 Like

Thanks!

That’s what happened on his 1st run. They were closing because they ran out. But the man was nice enough to recommend another spot down the street. Husband didn’t catch the name but the Que was pretty good - I like that crispy char from grilling more than smoked meat.

1 Like

" Join us for our very first GATHER FOR GOOD ONLINE CHARITY BAKE SALE with all your favorite pastry chefs, bakers, restaurant owners, farmers and foodies as we sell sweet and savory pies to support two important organizations who are dedicated to fight for racial justice in Los Angeles and across the nation— Black Lives Matter Los Angeles and The Gathering for Justice."

4 Likes

Yes! I plan to be online at 9 am on Friday for this. But, pick up is scheduled for Saturday so a bit late for the celebration.

I’ve invited 2 other families (we have a big deck) to partake in a meal catered from Revolutionario North African Tacos. I know it’s not “American” food, but I can’t think of a better representation of the promise of this country, particularly LA, than what the chef is doing at Revolutionario. Also, he’s doing a lot for the community during the stay at home orders and I want to support him.

8 Likes

I really liked Revolutionaro! If you have a chance, please report back what got ordered, and how it was.

4 Likes

No Manzke Pie… Hmmm. I think I’m going for those Cake Monkey Pop Tarts.

1 Like

Damn. I forgot and missed this today.

They start taking orders tomorrow at 9am! some great looking pies. The ones from providence look great. Evan Kleiman as well :smiley:

3 Likes

Clearly, I’ve lost all concept of time and calendars. Thank you!

2 Likes

They do… decisions.

1 Like