Kavkaz Armenian from USSR in Hollywood

Can I ask what green borsh is like? Is it kind of like caldo verde or more gumbo z’herbes…? Something else entirely? I’ve been really curious about various permutations of dishes using fresh greens.

I can’t compare it. It’s not thick, it’s served hot or cold and has sourness from loads of sorrel. Once people cheat with lemon it’s not the same. Hard boiled egg and potato for textures.

2 Likes

Dishes with large quantities of sorrel don’t taste like anything else I’ve had. It’s a very specific flavor.

Where is this photo from? Overseas?

I pulled it off the internet. I don’t remember where. Wherever it is I would love to be there!

Argh I was hoping it might be somewhere in LA

There are places here that do it but they cook out of view most of the time. Golden Fork 2 comes to mind . We need to do a meetup at one of our places

1 Like

This place has aveluk on the regular menu.

https://hatsatoun.com/menu/

1 Like

Great job! Thanks

I have sorrel in my vegetable boxes. I will have to find a recipe for this and make it.

Hmm. Apparently it’s not the same plant, and for the soup it’s usually dried.

Recipe I found had it fresh, Shchavel Borscht (Sorrel Soup) Recipe. Its a Ukrainian, not an Armenian version. I’m just looking for ways to use sorrel, because its delicious, and I have a lot of it.

1 Like

If it’s sour then it’s the right sorrel. If not then you just sauté it with some garlic and don’t bother.

@robert yes, Aveluk and what we call shavel (sorrel) are different. Aveluk must be fried and isn’t sour, shavel is very sour and amazing for green (spring time) borsh

1 Like

The distinction between frying vs making soup is interesting. Is that purely cultural or is there a practical reason (like, frying sorrel would concentrate it too much and be unbearably sour or something)? I promise I’m not trying to be pedantic, I just grew up not eating a lot of greens so I’m genuinely fascinated by how people use them.

Mine is both sour and very lemony. I think green borsch is in my future…

1 Like

My dad always had borscht in the fridge when I was a kid. Both red and green. In yiddish—the green borscht is called shav. He mostly drank it cold in a tall glass with a huge dollop of sour cream. I haven’t tried it as an adult, but as a kid it was pretty gross.

Hah, I remember being grossed out by my school bus driver drinking V8 with Tabasco and Worcestershire. As an adult that sounds delicious as does your dad’s concoction. Weird.

you need A LOT of it though… that’s the real deal though, congrats. . it’s out now? i’m going to go find it

shav as in shavel

Haven’t found it in a store, but haven’t checked Olive or Jon’s lately. I put it in this spring as I couldn’t find it anywhere. Right now its a little parched from that hot spell, but when it recovers I would be glad to give you some.

1 Like