Kippered DTLA

Now open.

7 Likes

@rlw review forthcoming?

2 Likes

Went last night for the grand opening :crazy_face:

Didn’t get into any of the food but the vibes were :hocho: :hocho: :hocho: :hocho: :hocho:

The by the glass list was actually pretty impressive, and the tinned fish list looked stunning (and makes a lot of sense as DTLA Cheese started stocking them a few months ago getting ready).

I’ll be going again this week and will report back :disguised_face:

8 Likes

did you get a pic of the menu?

No :frowning: but I will next time. There were 2+ pages with all the tinned fish. A couple salads and some cheese/charcuterie plates too.

4 Likes

Please list brands of canned seafood offered, so this cheap-ass diner can track them down and open them himself to save on professional opener surcharge.

9 Likes

Food menussss

40+ tins

@PorkyBelly meet me for ‘chovies?

9 Likes

I’ve never had high quality tinned seafood is it like really really good?

1 Like

Personally, I think the difference can be like one of those just add hot water pad thai bags you buy at REI vs. pad thai made to order at a restaurant. YMMV but I convince myself there’s craft behind it :joy:

3 Likes

Ok that’s a big gap, I’ll have to go to a store and buy a couple to try em out.

2 Likes

Obviously do it right and buy the highest quality bread you can—I know it sounds snobbish but you want to match quality with quality and not like just have off brand saltines with your $20 tin of mussels.

(Our just come in and have them do the work for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:)

7 Likes

Maybe I’m crazy, but I’ll go out and eat this. Sure you can buy it to have at home but they have a great selection and the prices seem reasonable. All of this would go great with wine or a dry French or Spanish cider too (maybe I missed it but do they have a beer / wine lic?)

Also seems like a good place to start a bang bang

6 Likes

:pray::pray: @rlw

1 Like

Tinned scallops are amazing if one is into scallops.

Yeah this is a pretty solid concept

7 Likes

Looking at the baby eels too. So much good stuff

1 Like

They have a deep bench of bottles, and yes can confirm they do have beer/cider as well.

This is a prime place to start a bang.

3 Likes

5 Likes

recs for the perfect bang bang? danny boy’s? needle? @JeetKuneBao

Kippered → Asterid?
Kippered → Caldo Verde?

1 Like

I think this is a cool concept too but I have one major concern: with everyone popping tins of greasy, pungent fish all night, how bad does it stink in there?

I walked into eta in Highland Park one night as they were finishing up $1 oyster night, and I had to turn right around and walk back out.

5 Likes