Kippered DTLA

Don’t forget Rapido in Silver Lake doing the tinned can/wine bar/tapas thing as well. Basque envy seems to be having a moment. I guess this was inevitable what with the anchovies on toast trend. We also now have The Anchovy Bar in SF and Phil Rosenthal doing the Miss Can episode.

2 Likes

That Eater article you linked to is from over three years ago, and it discusses places that opened in 2013, so it seems like more than a moment.

1 Like

anyone been to Can Zo in Gardena lately?

Actually, most of the places in the article opened in around 2019 which is still very much the same moment for some of us.

Huertas and Donostia both opened in New York City in 2014 … Opened in 2013, New York City’s Maiden Lane … In Oakland, Ordinaire opened the same year with the same idea. Wine bar Haley Henry debuted in Boston in 2016 … Saltie Girl … also opened in 2016. … North Charleston’s Stems & Skins also opened in 2016 … In 2017, Los Angeles wine bar Hayden put Spanish and Portuguese conservas on its menu …

I expect this will only get more popular as tinned fish is such a good fit for a wine bar. You don’t need a full kitchen or a cook. Even if the place has a full kitchen, tinned fish is a great thing to sell if the bar keeps longer hours.

yes… freshly packed premium seafood in spain, portugal are incredible products

this isn’t really some novel concept… we saw tons of them in europe

1 Like

I have found my people…

I was so thrilled when one of the organizers who is a huge fan of DTLA Cheese suggested this as a meet up place. I have followed Lydia and her family since she opened Cheese Cave and then DTLA Cheese and now Kippered!

She is holding court at the bar and every day from 4p to 6p is happy hour! They have a special on their chips, beer and a few glasses of wine. I decided to go all in instead and get some of the items I’ve been most eager to try since I first heard about them…

First was the Pimento Cheese with rosemary ham. It was a hard decision to make since I also love butter and bread (A companion did order the bread and butter and it was such a nice portion too!! Next time!). No picture. I was starving and snarfed nearly half of it down before I realized I should take a shot. So yes, the pimento cheese was indeed absolutely delicious. It wasn’t too salty. The pimenton was a lovely contrast to the sharp cheedar. It was so spreadable. It went very well with…

Tiny Fish Octopus with Lemon and Dill.

I was happy to see this on the menu!!! I’ve been wanting to try it for some time. And it was scrumptious. Having worked in a completely DIFFERENT canned food business, I know the sacrifices which must happen to preserve food. So the wonderful bright flavors of lemon and dill, were indeed quite muted. But it still went so well with both the saltines and the ritz that came with the pimento cheese.

To end the meal, I also ordered the little green goddess salad.

The come topped with boquerones which are anchovies but not salty nor too briney. Just enough. to give the salad with yummy creamy dressing and sun flower seeds and extra punch. It was a nice portion, could have easily been shared.

Overall, most of companions enjoyed what they got. There was little fishes, pates, filets. The menu was huge, but the staff was more than happy to guide you through it, suggest pairings. They also are constantly rotating the menu and so they may have gotten something recently in that isn’t on the menu just yet. They seem really passionate about what they are curating.

I had two glasses of domestic bubbly which amped up my final bill. It wasn’t a cheap outting, but well worth the experience, ambiance and company. I certainly would go there again to meet for a casual light meal, a few glasses and a happy pace.

9 Likes

You can get them direct. The geoduck’s my favorite of the bunch!

Yes! I just prefer not to shop online, so I had been waiting for a stockist. I also should have noted that the mark-up that Kippered had was slight compared to the price of the website. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tasty bites at Kippered.

Hubs wanted beer. Since I was focused on ordering the champagne cheese I kinda randomly selected the happy hour wine on tap to start, Matthiasson Tendu Red. Should’ve put more thought into my selection. It was really tart and I did not like it. Coincidentally I was served the Tendu Rosé a couple days later and liked it better.

Gem Lettuce, Boquerones (white anchovies in vinegar), Croutons, Green Goddess Dressing

Difficult to judge because the dressing had tarragon and I have an irrational dislike of tarragon. But it had all the right elements - crisp, fresh lettuce, creamy dressing, big croutons and the marinated anchovies were briny & super vinegary. A little hard to maneuver as it was uncut lettuce leaves served in a small bowl.

Langres Cheese & Champagne

Cow’s milk cheese from Champagne, France, made with a concave top to hold guess what? Champagne! It’s not a bold flavor combination - the champagne gives the soft, fudgy, creamy cheese a subtle grapey effervescence. We took some home to nosh on over the next couple of days and with the splashes of champagne absorbed into the cheese it was really delicious. :hearts:

Fangst Brisling No.1 (Baltic Sea Sprat), smoked w/Heather & Chamomile in Cold-pressed Rapeseed Oil + Warm Crusty Bread, Beurre & Olives

The small, fatty brisling has a delicate flavor, light texture w/a hint of smoke added. I ordered the sea fennel butter but received the cultured butter instead - it was still delicious. I would be very tempted to order this conserva again but there are so many to try. I could eat like this everyday. :hearts:

Happy Tinning!

16 Likes

Hi @Dommy!

I didn’t see you did a report today too! Like minds! :blush:

Coinkydink on the pimento cheese. Our Kippered visit wasn’t today but I happened to be at DTLA Cheese today and we discussed their pimento cheese and Lady Sergio aka Lydia said it’s a big seller at Kippered. Must try!

2 Likes

Still haven’t made it to Kippered but I eat a fair amount of sardine sandos at home.
Other then ones the ones that are smoked or have some kind of pepper added, I can’t say that I can tell much difference between a premium/imported sardine can and the ones I get from Costco. Am I just a Philistine with naugahyde palate?

3 Likes

Or Costco just has some awesome sh*t. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL! :thinking: I must try Costco sardines before making a judgement about you being a Philistine with a naugahyde palate. :smile:

8 Likes

I eat Costco sardines, always have them in the pantry. I would not confuse them with Minerva, Jose Gourmet, Ramón Peña, or the like. But neither, tasted blind, could I tell you which of the latter I was eating. They’re all different but I"m usually drinking with friends and not paying that much attention to the fish. Some of the Hengst and Güeyumar conservas are very distinctive and recognizable.

2 Likes

I believe they’re on sale right now at $3 off.
Comes around every few months.

1 Like