LA Food Spots You'd Like To See a Short Doc About?

Hey all,

I’m doing a short doc series on food places around the world. We’re down in LA next weekend and looking to film a local spot. There are so many amazing places in LA it’s difficult to pick, so I thought I’d ask here.

Any recommendations? Friends that work/own any restaurants that would be interested?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Care to share more about your project? Any links?

Baroo
Jun Won
Luv2Eat

3 Likes

Sure thing! We haven’t released any vids from our food series, but you can see some of our stuff (two to be exact) here: Redirecting...

Background: We’re a startup media company (launched 2 weeks ago!) focused on making premium video content around food/travel. We’re tired of whack food videos about rainbow bagels and tiny burgers, so we’re making stuff that we think is actually worth watching.

Let us know if you have any connections to some food spots that would be interested. The series we’re working on is focused on showing the assembly of a restaurant’s signature dish. Time commitment is 3 hours max.

Thanks,
Ben

2 Likes

Howlin’ Ray’s
Langer’s
Fleishik’s
Ricky’s Fish Tacos
The Apple Pan
Wexler’s

1 Like

I sent an email to Baroo…the other two don’t appear to have emails :frowning: Thanks for the suggestions !

Bulgarini Gelato
Guerilla Tacos
Newport Seafood
Bestia

3 Likes

Try the phone.

1 Like

A childhood friend made this short doc a couple years ago:

2 Likes

“A Day in the Life of Tim Carey”

Do you know where this chef ended up? They had the best jjambong and jja jang mein.

I would love to see a short documentary on the legendary filet mignon of the stinking rose.

5 Likes

Lovely.
Would love to know where he’s noodling now.

1 Like

Luv2Eat has a Facebook page…

ragtop fern - brisket
ichimiann - soba
pailin - fermented pork ribs
tsujita - tsukemen
patisserie chantilly - cream puffs
coni’seafood - pescado zarandeado
sapp coffee shop - boat noodles

1 Like

I think the production value of the phuket crab curry preparation would be fascinating. I know she - Chef Pla - stays up all night making it.

2 Likes

You can apparently contact Jun Won through Facebook Messenger:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/junwonrestaurant/about/?ref=page_internal

Or just phone them when they’re open. The owner is a really nice guy, son of the original owners, I think.

1 Like

Same for Luv2Eat:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/luv2eatthaibistro/about/?ref=page_internal

Shunji is the first place that came to mind. Don’t know if anyone has put together a piece on him and his place.

2 Likes

I ate at Jun Won last week and it blew my mind. So delicious.
The parents - or at least the Mom - is still cooking homemade banchan every day.
Children still on site. Best banchan in town (by leaps and bounds).

4 Likes