LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Kudos to Lele and his team.

1 Like

LA takeout game is so strong right now that Iā€™m spending almost as much money at restaurants as I was pre-pandemic.

11 Likes

I think Iā€™m spending moreā€¦because my psyche misses snacks and drinks at the barā€¦and meals where Iā€™m not the one prepping and cleaning up afterwards.

4 Likes

Weā€™re about to take our first walk to pick up Tacos 1986 for lunch. Exciting. we still cook 17 out of 20 weekly meals

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never spent $20 a pint on ice cream prior to Aprilā€¦

Iā€™ve spent ~$120 on 6 pints since.

17 Likes

Totally! We definitely cook more, but spending more per take-out trip. Not to mention the added driving distances to some of these places (why are so many good things so far west of the 110 and south of the 210/134ā€¦).

3 Likes

and eating more

5 Likes

A $44 weekly pie habit doesnā€™t help, eitherā€¦

8 Likes

and $80 chirashis

6 Likes

Treat yourself! Youā€™re worth it lol!

3 Likes

iā€™m telling my waistline to suck it up, itā€™s to support small business.

15 Likes

$5 bucket of ice cream +$4 jar of good peach or apricot jam is as good as a $20 pint of icecream (to me)

4 Likes

Bonne Maman jam? Very good jam but great ice cream not from a supermarket makes a big difference.

1 Like

Yeah but imagine that $4 jar with $20 ice cream

8 Likes

During this pandemic, I learned to how to make my own strawberry compote from Harryā€™s Berries gaviotas. I find that it goes great with McConnellā€™s sweet cream.

As for stone fruits, Iā€™m just doing a ripe stone fruit & cream with AltaDena cream that I double triple whip myself. #StrongerForearmMusclesNow

8 Likes

Salty butter is nice on Nutella walnut doughnuts

Get on my level

4 Likes

Tillamook old fashioned is pretty amazing.

3 Likes

LA Food Trends=Regional specialties outside of LA

Bay Area Food Trends=LA food trends

5 Likes

Ok, maybe not quite an LA Restaurant hot take, but after reading the LA Times story about how the guy who claimed to have invented Flamin Hot Cheetos did not invent them but was heavily involved in the development of sabrositos and the chile limon Fritos, my hot take is that chile limon fritos >>>> flamin hot cheetos.

3 Likes

:put_litter_in_its_place::put_litter_in_its_place::put_litter_in_its_place: Flamin Hot Cheetos 4 life over here.

Personally I donā€™t like the chemical lime flavor Frito-Lay uses for anything ā€˜limon.ā€™ Although maybe thatā€™s a controversial take too.

3 Likes