LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Is there one Actually Good kosher restaurant in LA? We’ve got some Orthodox family members so we have to go to those restaurants every time they’re in town, and I don’t think I’ve been to one place that I would ever go out of my way to return to.

2 Likes

Ta-eem is good if you don’t mind casual.

4 Likes

I think Helen meant ta-eem? And I second that otherwise check out dr. Sandwich another more casual spot. Additionally Jeff’s kosher sandwich makes good sausages.

1 Like

Charcoal Grill & Bar on Beverly. Delicious stuff. Good people watching.

1 Like

Majordomo is the most overrated restaurant in LA.

1 Like

Chengis Cohen

edit: not Chengis Cohen

Genghis Cohen - despite the name - is NOT Kosher.
Not by a long shot:

1 Like

oh what!? haha… was a thing i heard over and over when we lived a few blocks west of it. thanks. only had the 1 drunken meal there after a comedy show… didn’t even think about it

1 Like

Majordomo’s the best kosher restaurant in LA.

6 Likes

Is this a hot take? Idk.

QR code menus should stay forever.

(Obviously with the option of regular menus for people who don’t have smart phones.)

5 Likes

Joe’s Pizza in Santa Monica is the best NY slice in L.A. Just a smidgeon better than Pizza Wagon of Brooklyn (pepperoni chalices are overrated).

And know that business-wise, Joe’s Pizza SM is a stand-alone. In other words, it is NOT associated with the other (more mediocre) Joe’s Pizzas in various locations around town.

6 Likes

That’s some pretty good pizza. I always grabbed a slice when I am at 3rd St Promenade/SM Pier. I think it might get overlooked because of its touristy location.

2 Likes

Respectfully, I don’t think Joe’s is on Pizza Wagon’s level. The pizza doesn’t have the right level of chew and for me, the sauce is not as bright. Everyone’s taste on these things is different though.

3 Likes

I am not a Joe’s fan either. Pizza wagon, Prime Pizza, Superfine (haven’t had it since the pandemic and we have had some inconsistency reports here), Vito’s and Prince street all scratch that NYC itch for me better than Joe’s.

1 Like

We talkin’ just the Santa Monica (Broadway) location Joe’s, right? Because I fully agree that all the other Joe’s locations are mediocre at best.

the hot pizza hot takes! i agree about pepperoni cups… zzz. we didn’t grow up with that.

2 Likes

that’s the one I mean.
not terrible but not as good as the others (to me).
based on two vists but none in a few years

1 Like

So uneven. Used to be the best in the city but latest reports all over the map.

1 Like

I think it depends on where your pizza goals are. I am always looking for tasty, crisp crust and sauce. I think Joes has that. But for toppings, Pizza Wagon all the way. But yes, Joes in Santa Monica is one of the best bites you can have when in the area.

1 Like

I haven’t tried Prime (!!) or Vito’s, but I would definitely add Danny Boy’s to this list for NYC style pizza. Their weekday-only hours make it a bit more difficult though.

3 Likes