LA Restaurant Hot Takes

On Thursday and Friday, they’re open until 8:30 pm. I was able to pick one up on a Friday night.
I do agree i wish they were open at least on a Saturday or a Sunday

2 Likes

My last slices from Danny Boy’s were the best NY style I’ve had on the west coast in a long time. Significantly better than my last visits to Pizza Wagon or Prime. But I do think the belt moves between those three by the day.

4 Likes

The difference between a good pizzeria and a great one is consistency. Making great pies is hard. Making every pie great is much harder.

I wonder if anyone made a recent visit. Hopefully they’re back in form.

I think if one prefers crispness to chewiness then Joe’s does win. They’re aggressively crispy on the previously discussed crisp to chew spectrum. Mullberry’s is more chew. Vitos and Wagon i found to be in the middle. Prime closer to Joe’s… but it has been ages :frowning:

1 Like

have you read up on the Joe’s Pizza saga? it’s very strange that the Santa Monica location isn’t affiliated with the other ones. I actually remember getting a pizza on like Memorial Day in 2010 (or some other holiday) when Joe Vitale himself was making our pizzas and serving them, essentially working by himself.

4 Likes

I don’t think there was ever a restaurant in NYC called Joe’s of Bleecker Street. The place owned by the guy who sued Santa Monica Joe’s was just called Joe’s Pizza.

There is a John’s of Bleecker Street, which makes good old-school coal-oven pizza…

1 Like

Been there. 'Twas good.

1 Like

Love John’s of Bleecker St too. Great pizza and such a cool old-school vibe. A must-stop anytime I visit NYC

also been there on Bleeker… i used to shop at the 1 record stores right there

That whole triangle is great. Joe’s Pizza. Pearl Oyster Bar. Blind Tiger. Murray’s Cheese Shop.

2 Likes

When I was subletting nearby for a few months in the 80s I got slices from that Joe’s Pizza all the time. Seemed like your average NYC slice joint to me.

Father Demo Square was one of my favorite places in NYC.

In the 80’s and early 90’s the Bleecker Luncheonette had such fantastic green minestrone soup and linguine with clams, served with wonderful crusty Italian bread. Heaven.

4 Likes

warrior: superfine was superaverage on our last order. disappointing.

i’d pick gjelina for best pizza in LA – over Mozza and every other dedicated pizza establishment. actually, i’d pick gjelina for best pizza i’ve ever had except maybe cheeseboard in berkeley (been a long time).

peony: pizza pictures below are from our recent visits to gjelina

3 Likes

Awesome name. It’s one of the first areas we go to eat when we land in NYC.

1 Like

completely lost me with that one :thinking:

1 Like

The Cheese Board’s pizza is such an extreme outlier in terms of style that some people refuse to call it pizza. The sourdough crust is thin, stiff, and almost cracker-like. I’ve never had anything like it anywhere else except at its spinoffs, Arizmendi and Sliver.

2 Likes

warrior: it’s been over 10 years, so my tastes may have changed or the restaurant may have changed.

2 Likes

The Cheese Board’s pizza has not changed in the 30-odd years since I first tried it.

2 Likes

too bad about Superfine. I prefer their 18 inch pizzas over their 12 inch ones. God I remember eating cheeseboard in college (didn’t go to Berkeley, but I visited my cousin who went there), and it was so good. Gjelina Take Away is actually super super good pizza by the slice.

1 Like