Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

For me, living in Vegas, coming into town on the 15, and usually staying around mid-city or thereabouts, it’s Brent’s that’s too much of a schlep – so much so that we haven’t made it there yet. Maybe someday if we’re going up the 101 anyway. As for the meat quantity, Langer’s has enough meat, and I prefer their more even distribution, as opposed to the traditional deli-style pile-up.

@Chowseeker1999
It is indeed excellent hash – some of the best I’ve had. Not a fan of the large-chunk variety.

BTW, my vote is for the original pastrami/mustard/rye. I don’t even like coleslaw.

6 Likes

Its really good. They have a mail order version, https://www.zingermans.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=G-SHE-DLXR, which goes on sale at unpredictable intervals. When it does I send it to ebeth without letting her know ahead of time. One of the perks of having a wonderful daughter.

3 Likes

I’ve been getting the #10 - Pastrami, Swiss, Russian Dressing. I’m goin’ OG next time… w/Swiss. :relaxed:

6 Likes

I think all of the delis that I’ve been to in recent years put much less meat on a sandwich than the “old” days.

Go early on a Saturday when the traffic is light and just order the pastrami on rye w/ mustard. Worth the schlep and get some more pastrami and bread to go for when you get back home and you’re hungry from sitting in traffic.

4 Likes

exactly. it’s not like “cali” pastrami that you get at a stand (thin sliced and curly)—it’s jewish deli pastrami that is cut similar to corned beef.

3 Likes

Key word there is “early”, of course. I showed up one Saturday on the way out of town – IIRC it was 7:30 or 8. By the time I left, there were 30 people outside in line. I too, always take a pound or two home, along with a loaf of rye.

1 Like

Last time I was there mid-day, I was surprised that the line moved at a decent pace. I think I waited maybe 15-20 min for a table.

2 Likes

Yes, I usually get half loaf on the way out for the leftovers.

Has anybody found a way to recreate the crust from the double baking? I tried to bake in toaster oven but didn’t get the same results. I feel like the trick is to bake a whole loaf uncut then cut to order. But that doesn’t work since the loafs are pre-sliced.

If you do have a method to successfully recreate the crust can you provide

• temperature
  • amount of time

Must rebake whole uncut loaf for crusty crust and fluffy interior. If sliced, the exposed interior will dry and toast the same as the crust.

An uncut half loaf would work rebaked exposed interior down. It would require discarding (aka eating with butter and sea salt) the face down first slice.

300 F, bottom rack, 5 minutes.

Diamond Bakery sells corn rye uncut loaves.

5 Likes

Paging @Happybaker

1 Like

Last time we had Langer’s we used their curbside pick-up.

2 Likes

Nice tips @A5KOBE!

2 Likes

We’ve done that on numerous occasions. Super easy and very reliable. We’ve started requesting our pastrami be “lean”, as we previously found ourselves trimming off excess fat anyway. The “lean” has a perfect amount of fat, for us anyway. I wouldn’t go so far as requesting “extra lean” though.

1 Like

Perfect. Does Langer’s sell uncut loafs? All this talk is making me hungry for pastrami sandwiches this weekend. My kids love those expensive pickles.

2 Likes

Uncut loaf, 350 for half an hour.

Though Fred’s may not bake Langer’s loaves as long.

http://www.fredsbakeries.com

1 Like

That’s what ruined most of the other old-school pastrami places.

@Robert beat me to it!

See his recent post (don’t know how to link a post here) he is spot on.

And I agree with him, that Fred’s probably does not bake their loves for Langers as long as they normally do, to make the double bake more of a deep crunchy brown versus burnt :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is a pretty big discrepancy. I’ll probably side with the Eater LA suggestion.

1 Like

Ahhh… I’ll read his post. Thanks @Happybaker!

1 Like