Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

A pastrami sandwich at Langer’s is a lot of food. Anyplace that gives twice as much meat for the same price is cutting corners somewhere.

1 Like

Yeah, not necessarily.

And I didn’t say anything about the price. Charge me a couple bucks more and give me more meat if need be.

I don’t know how much a pastrami is at Brent’s compared to Langer’s but Brents appears to give you a much more substantial sandwich. I do not think they’re cutting corners anywhere except maybe the location.

Side note: I remember when that Jerry’s “deli” used to offer you a New York or West Coast (version the smaller less piled version).

You do get more for your $ at Brent’s. However IMO Langer’s pastrami is superior to Brent’s.

5 Likes

Very well could serve the same amount of meat as a Brent’s sandwich. it could be that Langers because they hand slice it they can’t stack it up the same way, The old Jewish deli trick — bunch the meat and shove it forward

Yes, I love Brent’s Black Pastrami Reuben as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I dunno, I’ve eaten enough of both to confidently say Brent’s Black Pastrami Reuben is more food for the dollar but I’ve never left Langer’s hungry either.

4 Likes

Hi @Gr8pimpin,

Thanks. For someone that appreciates Pastrami, I definitely think Langer’s is worth a visit at least once, depending on how far it is for you. If you’re driving from say, Oxnard through traffic, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. :sweat_smile: But Langer’s Pastrami Sandwich is a lot of food. I’ve never left Langer’s feeling “hungry” or that it was skimpy. It’s delicious, rich, luscious, tasty.

I’ve never measured Brent’s Black Pastrami Reuben Sandwich with Langer’s side-by-side, but I think I’d agree with @Sgee that Brent’s is more food maybe? But Brent’s Black Pastrami is a Reuben, much heavier, richer (and delicious!). :slight_smile:

But I hope you get a chance to try Langer’s Pastrami once at least. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think the amount of meat between Brent’s and Langer’s is equal but I do think Langer’s spreads their meat out more evenly while Brent’s does the bunch and shove.

As others have said you will not leave hungry from either place. I think you should try Langer’s if for nothing else so you maintain your FTC street cred.

5 Likes

LOL!!

I have no cred.

3 Likes

Sooo… if you had one choice you’re picking the #88 over the Hot Pastrami? :slight_smile:

Don’t be so modest. Of course you do. :wink:

2 Likes

Continuing with my recent spate of FTC coincidences. Our friend is in from out-of-town and we’ve been discussing Langer’s all week. Low and behold @Chowseeker1999 updates the thread. I see a visit in the near future. :crystal_ball: :sandwich:

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Now you’re nudging me into a corner! :smile: No, if I had to pick only 1 sandwich from Langer’s, it would have to be their OG Hot Pastrami Sandwich with Mustard. That’s it. :slight_smile:

But since we’d be going with some friends, a #88 might show up as well. :wink: (Or maybe their Beef Tongue & Corned Beef Combo - delicious!)… or maybe the Egg Salad & Chopped Liver combo (see original post), delicious as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay to the pastrami! He’s a corned beef dude and so am I, actually. I’ve been trying to convince him that their pastrami is the way to go. My argument is it’s thicker than most pastrami and reminds me of corned beef. :blush:

2 Likes

The answer is simply: Order both! :wink: Hot Pastrami Sandwich, and a #88, or other Corned Beef Sandwich and enjoy both side by side.

1 Like

I think Langer’s will do that. I’ve heard of people ordering the pastrami and corned beef combo and having them swap out the corned beef for more pastrami. Personally I think the #1 is the right proportion of bread to meat and a lot of food.

3 Likes

Langers makes a great tuna melt.

5 Likes

As you obviously checked neither Langer’s nor Brent’s mention prices on their websites. Sigh. Langer’s used to. Zingerman’s still does, https://www.zingermansdeli.com/menus/pastrami-sandwiches/. Of course you have to go to Ann Arbor, @secretasianman, @linus, but its worth it. I keep harping on them to open up something here, but they must love winter.

2 Likes

Man, that’s sexy lol!

2 Likes

Side note: I remember when that Jerry’s “deli” used to offer you a New York or West Coast (version the smaller less piled version).

Our local NY style deli does 8oz NY style or 4oz LA style.

1 Like