Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

1 Like

Anyone ever tried the “Tenderloin Skirt Steak Sandwich?”

Not really a corned beef person so I tend not to order it in general. Then I had the #54 which was a corned beef revelation, it is so darn tasty. But I usually will order pastrami over corned beef 9 times out of 10, except at Langer’s now. :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Same. :smile: Whenever we sit down at Langer’s, I look over the rest of the menu, wanting to try something new, and then realize, “I’m going to give up Langer’s Pastrami to order (that item) instead…” And then I order their Pastrami. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I think there are more pastrami fans than corned beef fans on this board, but for those who truly like both equally, I would posit that Langer’s Corned Beef > Langer’s Pastrami

6 Likes

It was a constant for me at restaurants. Your telling everybody what your going order . You planned on it . When your asked what you’re having . Mind takes over and that panic sets in . " I’ll have the usual. "

5 Likes

I like both equally. The #54 seems like a great option to try both. It’s my next order when I get back to Langer’s maybe this Saturday for curb side pickup.

On Goldbelly the Langer’s pastrami sandwich kit comes with 1 loaf of bread and 2 lbs of pastrami for $139 (but shipping is included). Was trying to find the prices online but this feels like a 100%+ markup. $10 for a loaf and $25-$30 lb for pastrami?

2 Likes

IIRC, for curbside delivery, it’s $8 per loaf and $32/lb. Haven’t gotten around to trying the corned beef yet, but I’ll have to do that the next time I’m in town.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds about right. My biggest concern about doing curbside pickup is not being able to replicate the crunch on the outside of the rye bread when I make sandwiches at home.

Might have to @J_L it and eat sandwiches al fresco style with a beautiful view of the Rampart district.

6 Likes

If it’s good enough for Tommy’s… ;-D

4 Likes

Put the bread in a loaf pan, spray a little water on the crust, bake until crunchy.

I think 350° for 15 will probably do it.

I think @Happybaker may know more exact time and temp.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine not preferring navel to brisket.

https://laist.com/2017/05/31/langers_rc_provisions.php#photo-1

2 Likes

Funny. Drove by them the other day and saw they are related to Giamela’s.

Sadly - I do not!
Langer’s website gives a few details - including the fact that the bread they use is not fully baked (I think the phrase is par-baked?) And then they finish it in their on ovens.

I use my dad’s old method for reviving bagels or any frozen bread - a spray or splash of water on the outside, put it in a cold oven, turn it to 350 and when the oven is ready ( 15 minutes) generally your bread is too : )

5 Likes

I just tap on It with a metal utensil until it sounds crunchy. LOL

I’ll make a note next time I do it.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of the #44 Pastrami Rueben…

10 Likes

My son loves their Pastrami & Chopped Liver sandwich and the pastrami chili cheese fries

10 Likes

Hi @wienermobile,

Yes! The #44 is also wonderful. :slight_smile: And thanks for the reminder on their Pastrami Chili Fries. :smile:

1 Like

Yes, that pastrami and chopped liver is great—so rich that it’s like two sandwiches in one. I always get an extra slice of rye with my order so I can enjoy a chicken liver half sandwich later.

4 Likes

Say that out loud. It sounds kinda’ naughty.

3 Likes