Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

#1 is #19 without the cheese and had been my go to for decades but lately i am all about the pastrami french dip. i don’t miss the rye and the jus complements rather than overpowers the way mustard or dressing would. so good.

yeah, no

5 Likes

Not quite as bad as Annie Hall… but almost.

3 Likes

almost…lol.

besides the fact that pastrami on rye doesn’t actually NEED anything else except for a schmer of mustard, I’m not a fan of coleslaw at all. I just don’t like the combo of bitter cabbage and a ton of mayo

3 Likes

Yeah I like coleslaw but am on the fence about it on a sandwich.

1 Like

the only crunchy/“coleslaw”-type item I like on a sandwich are the veggies that come on banh mi (and are dressing an actual banh mi or bahn mi-style sandwich). I think the pickling/acidity works better than mayo to cut the fatty richness of the meat and the veggies just taste better/brighter.

2 Likes

I love good coleslaw but it’s not one of the things Langer’s puts any extra effort into. Probably $12 a gallon from Sysco.

1 Like

Yes and it doesn’t get soggy which is my problem with slaw on sandwiches.

1 Like

I am not a coleslaw fan.

BUT…. as I have become more “seasoned”, I do like slaw on pulled pork sandwiches and I like it on Langers pastrami sandwich. Though i prefer it with just a little mustard, I get one sandwich each way and have half of each.

5 Likes

Love their potato salad with a dollop of Russian dressing on the side.

3 Likes

lol. that sounds like it would be on the sweeeeet side.

I doctor/improve my potato salad with mustard and kosher dills (no matter where I get it from–and this also works great at Philippes w/ their spicy mustard).

2 Likes

Does that count as ensalada Rusa?

1 Like

That would be potato salad with an equal volume of mayo.

:person_facepalming: nm

FTC Confession: I don’t like anyone’s potato salad but my own… and my cousin Lori’s, who gave me the recipe.

7 Likes

It’s funny this is sacrilege, given the amount of Russian dressing slathered on reubens. But there are prob some alte kakkers who think reubens are beyond the pale.

6 Likes

Good point!

I do understand why mayo with pastrami is gross to some, as it’s already pretty fatty and probably doesn’t need it (I wouldn’t know :relaxed:) but I have an addiction to mayo and vegenaise and will put it on almost anything.

3 Likes

I do my Reubens without dressing-- tastes much better and less slimey.

1 Like

Reubens are treif as fuck. No dairy products at a real kosher deli.

2 Likes

Yeah leave the deliciousness for us heathens

8 Likes