Langer's Delicatessen - Beyond the Legendary Pastrami... Corned Beef Hash, Matzo Ball Soup and Lamb Shanks?

love trief!

(cheese makes many things better)

2 Likes

Some of the worst food Iā€™ve had was from a kosher Jewish bakery in Rome that made non-dairy cream puffs and the like. Lots of cloying whipped Crisco.

3 Likes

sounds like some of the passover foods my mother used to makeā€¦yuck

1 Like

I never noticed the #65 before today: hot pastrami with cream cheese and sliced tomato.

1 Like

Very few kosher delis. Most Jewish delis are kosher-STYLE. In fact, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen or been in a true KOSHER deli.

My grandparents kept kosher. That was fun.

4 Likes

exactly. cheese + meat = good

3 Likes

Yeah, I remember 2nd Avenue as the one kosher deli. So weā€™d never go lol. We did frequent B&H dairy on trips to the city though.

Not sure what the LA scene was like.

1 Like

I add Dijon to my Reubens instead of the Russian.

3 Likes

Pardon Me Would You Have Any Grey Poupon

3 Likes

yeah, like ME! haha

1 Like

haha!

now thatā€™s revoltingā€¦hopefully, itā€™s a joke!

The #65 is fantastic. Pure indulgence, just barely tempered with a slices of tomato.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure I had the chopped liver once and it was good, though since I canā€™t remember Iā€™m not sure of that. Definitely not as good as Saulā€™s in Berkeley, which set the bar for me (with the exception of some homemade).

1 Like

That is high praise, I may bite the bullet and try it although these days I just canā€™t not order the #54.

3 Likes
  • #65 ā€“ Hot Pastrami with Cream Cheese and Sliced Tomato
    Iā€™m a ā€œpuristā€ and only order pastrami or corned beef on rye with a little bit of deli mustard. Maybe Iā€™m stubborn and missing out on the #19 but this is too much. Where does the madness end?

https://www.langersdeli.com/tag/pastrami-chili-cheese-fries/

1 Like

I have found Langerā€™s chopped liver to be consistently excellent.

2 Likes

Curious if they use mayo in their chopped liver? Something a LOT of delis here do to cut corners.

Such a goyishe kop move, IMHO (no offense intended, I never get to use classic yiddish phrases)

4 Likes

mayo in chopped liver?

no.

the best chopped liver is, of course, my motherā€™s which is HER motherā€™s, etcā€¦ Chicken livers ONLY. Onions should still have a little zip to them. donā€™t take them french onion soup dark. Not all of 'em, anyway. Hard boiled eggs fed straight into the meat grinder as filler/buffer.

I havenā€™t tried Langerā€™s. Them being closed on Sundays (what kind of Jewish deli closes on sunday?) has managed to sabotage more than one attempted visit.

Canterā€™s chopped liver is nasty.

4 Likes