Legendary Fried Chicken & Nashville Hot Chicken Hits L.A. - Howlin' Ray's New Restaurant!

Update 1:

Decided to go back today to see how consistent they might be, and to try the Sandwich @theoffalo @Haeldaur @A5KOBE all recommended.

Note: We showed up around 1:30 p.m. and the line was about 20 deep, LOL. Waited about 40 minutes in line, but finally got in. At around 2:30 p.m. it was calmed down (only 7 people in line).

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Country” Style (No Heat):

We had the Breast & Wing last time, so I wanted to try their traditional Fried Chicken (no sauce) for dark meat.

Delicious yet again! :slight_smile: The Fried Chicken has a crunch and is crisp on the outside, and tender, juicy and well-seasoned on the inside.

They were sold out of their Fried Chicken Sandwich! :frowning: Apparently it was their morning delivery of their buns for the Sandwich that never made it, so we opted to try the next level of heat.

Fried Chicken Dark (Leg & Thigh), “Hot” Style (“Burn, Baby, Burn”), Level 4:

Note the darker, ominous crimson coloring… I was thinking Level 3 “Medium” was fine, so how bad could Level 4 be?

Woo! This was beyond Jitlada’s Level 4 (which is really bad). :open_mouth:

Taking the first bite, it seemed only lightly spicy, but there was an immediate burn. But then after a few seconds… Oh yah! WOW! I started to sweat. This serious burn and heat started hitting me, and I started sniffling, LOL. A few seconds after that, I couldn’t feel my mouth! :cry: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

About 45 minutes later (after I stopped eating), was able to feel my lips again. :slight_smile:

But seriously, I think I got that “capsaicin high” that people talk about, because I wanted to keep eating a bit more of the Chicken. It was delicious, but not overly painful actually, just a monstrous burn.

I found out that for Level 4 they add the infamous Ghost Pepper! Wow. :open_mouth:

Pro Tip: Do not attempt to rub your eyes unless you thoroughly wash your hands (repeatedly), LOL. :laughing:

We were originally going to attempt Level 5 “X-Hot” (“You’ve Been Warned!”), but found out for Level 5 they use a blend of Ghost Pepper, Red Habaneros, and Carolina Reaper Chilies! :fearful: The server warned us it’s “9 out of 10” for spicy.

And that Level 6 “Howlin!” (“Can’t Touch This. 10++”) is not to be messed with, LOL.

For all the FTC Chili-heads please report back on this experience, I won’t be ordering that. :wink:

Cucumber & Sweet Onions with Creme Fraiche:

It was fortuitous their Daily Market Side dish was a cool Cucumber & Sweet Onions Salad. Phew! The cooling power of the chilled Cucumbers with fresh Dill and the Creme Fraiche helped to calm the inferno that was their Level 4 “Hot” Style Chicken. :slight_smile:

It was refreshing, cooling and fragrant.

Howlin’ Ray’s continues to deliver some delicious Fried Chicken. I can’t wait to go back and try all of the FTC’ers recommended Fried Chicken Sandwich next time.

Initial Hours (extended Hours will be added once they settle in):

Wed - Sun
11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken
727 N. Broadway Ave #128
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Tel: (213) 935-8399

9 Likes

Yup, I used to get X-HOT early in their truck run, but after they calibrated their spice levels, by the end of the truck run, I was maxing out at Medium unless I was really in the mood for Hot. That capsaicin high and addiction is a real thing. After I had it a few times at HRHC, I could understand why the people in the articles I was reading about Prince’s and other HC places in Nashville talked about wanting more after suffering through the heat. I do wish there was a medium-hot option though.

I am reposting this as its a brilliant study of hot chicken; - YouTube

1 Like

The chicken here is very good. Just like at the truck after i finished i regretted not ordering twice as much. I wish I hadn’t been a coward and ordered medium; it’s not the same without a little pain.

1 Like

Hi @theoffalo,

Wow, you survived X-HOT back in the day? LOL. They must’ve really changed their spice levels or you’re a chili-head. :slight_smile:

Yah, in the current scale, I wish there was something between Level 3 “Medium” and Level 4 “Hot”. Level 3 is comfortable with an immediate heat, but still fine. Level 4 was HELL. :laughing: :frowning:

@alephnaught better to be safe than sorry. Next time try the Medium, but unless you really can handle heat, I’d say stop there. :wink:

It must’ve changed a ton.

I went to their original Barrel & Ashes pop up and was determined to try all the levels. I went up to Howlin, and while truly intense, I doubt they had carolina reapers… it was something you could live through. Not just Hot (level 4) has carolina reapers… that seems absurd hah

They have changed it quite a bit, even during the truck run. I believe the Ghost Peppers and/or Carolina Reapers was reserved only for Howlin’ Hot before.

The shit I had was monstrously hot. I LOVE super hot food. But this thigh I had at the Alibi just kept burning and burning. And burning.

1 Like

Coming and going… and going…

2 Likes

Throw in some vampiros from mexicali and brown bread from scoops and I’m in. I wouldn’t want to go hungry on this bang bang.

1 Like

How about adding a cup o’ joe from Endorffeine?

1 Like

So who’s standing in line right now getting tortured by the sound of the small pink toy dog???

1 Like

In line at Howlin’ Ray’s for chicken & waffles. Probably 20+ people before they’re even open.

3 Likes

F dat

1 Like

When did you get there? The line moved along moderately. The chicken and waffles was worth it!

https://instagram.com/p/BE1phEPA-jR/

5 Likes

1 PM

I’ll be back earlier next time. I was starving so ended up at Little Jewel.

1 Like

What came first the Nashville hot chicken or the waffle? Is it normal for your insides to feel like molten lava? #askingforafriend #feelthebern #socluckinghot :fire: :chicken: :fire: :poop:

6 Likes

What spice level did you have? I’ve been sticking to mild so that I just get a little kick without getting kicked in the gut. Medium should be fine too. Anything hot or above and you should take the rest of the day off.

Damnit i want dat chicken bad

3 Likes