Let's talk about pandan

Just read @hanhgry’s post re: pandan spy milk and pandan tofu pudding (must head out there soon!) and thought I’d start a thread on where one could find pandan goodies in LA. I don’t know of anywhere here on the Westside that has anything pandan, with the exception of Lukshon and wallflower on Rose, both have pandan occasionally in their dessert dishes. And Wanderlust had a pandan cake ice cream in June.

What I am also looking for is a place where I could get a really good pandan chiffon cake, something like Singapore’s Bengawan Solo:
pandan cake
Any bakeries have anything similar?

Please do share your pandan finds!

7 Likes

Pandan horchata @ Banh Xeo Boys in Santa Ana

6 Likes

Pandan custard at Bhan Kanom Thai

Pandan Kaya Jam at Kopitiam (they are in NY but they are planning to ship soon)

3 Likes

Pandan Lattes at Endorffeine in Far East Plaza
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2hlhq-B-Yg/

6 Likes

In the mean time Pandan Kaya 8oz/237g – Auria's Malaysian Kitchen

3 Likes

@MalibuT just a warning so you don’t go there on the wrong day, VP Tofu only has the pandan pudding on weekends :slight_smile: and I suggest going there early in the day because once they’re sold out of the pudding for the day, it’s gone!

Little Saigon/Viet people-- is the Van’s Bakery in Little Saigon the same as the Van’s Bakery in San Jose? I got this pandan coconut cake in San Jose and it was pretty tasty.

(pic from Yelp, not mine)

I also enjoy the buko pandan creme caramel or upside down pie from Creme Caramel LA but I usually pick it up from their sister shop, Frankie Lucy Bakeshop in Silver Lake. The upside down pie is basically the creme caramel with crumbly topping.

5 Likes

No idea if it’s the same but I get the same pandan cake from the Vans in 714 and 626.

2 Likes

We can arrange a group buy for kaya jam. :wink: I saw a video of the chef and how she makes the kaya every evening - wow!

Thank you. I’m keeping track of everything mentioned and might try to do a pandan run one of these weekends. That cake looks legit!

1 Like

Kaya toast at Cassia

1 Like

almost nothing i know of on the west side. but a lot of vietnamese banh mi places typically offer a pandan sponge cake in slices or as a whole cake.

2 Likes

I love anything with pandan in it, and I love this entire thread.

Munch Bakery buko pandan macaron

PRD This may have been a one-time item (hopefully not) - pandan doufu fa

Coconut Jam from Baryo - I’ve been able to buy this directly from PRD the last few times
https://eatbaryo.ecwid.com/Coconut-Jam-p151590070

7 Likes

Let’s hope Chef Tony reopens in Pasadena so we can have their pandan pork buns.

8 Likes

Pandan waffles. Commonly found at Lees bakery and other assorted VN bakeries/banh mi shops

7 Likes

You have to go to the Bay Area for these pandan tarts at the Mainland owned H L Peninsula Pearl.Capture

11 Likes

Sapp Coffee Shop (Thai Town) offers an off-menu Pandan Leaf Drink which is wonderful (August 2020 link). There’s quite a bit of ice that comes with a standard order, so unless you like “slushee-style”, consider trying it “easy ice”.

10 Likes

Wow that Pandan leaf drink looks great! What a great find.

1 Like

@J_L pro-tip GYOP …

The straight pandan ice cream at Scoops near LACC is awesome. They don’t have it all the time, but they will make an ice cream cake in any flavor for a special occasion or just because.

So glad this thread was created. I love pandan!

6 Likes

7 Leaves the mung bean milk tea is infused with pandan (my usual is taro milk tea though)

Vietnamese “Che” (Dessert) places often have Pandan as well.

5 Likes