Let's talk about pandan

Nice finds! I want to try FL because I am a fan of B Sweet on Sawtelle!

Glad you liked Bhan Kanom’s pandan custard I always have to get it when I am in the area or grab it for the cooler for the Hollywood Bowl

2 Likes

Never tried B Sweet but their stuff looks good! Frankie Lucy has fewer menu items than B Sweet but what they do have, tastes pretty good. And Bhan Khanom is such a treasure!

1 Like

Pandan goodies from Seasons Kitchen in Anaheim.

3 Likes

Try some Indonesian Pandan Roll Cake from SoCal Indo Food

Here’s their order form in case you wanna order: https://forms.gle/hCSpC94StPXijXjq8

5 Likes

@JeetKuneBao and @k_w, I had no idea these places deliver to the Westside with a reasonable ($40-45) minimum order. I sense some pandan cake soon on my doorstep! :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

1 Like

Dannggg that’s a legit a$$ Indon menu!!! :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Yaaa! I’ve been ordering for 3 weeks straight! :joy::joy:

But honestly, it’s :fire::fire::fire:

Yes it is!

@JeetKuneBao thank you :pray:t2: :pray:t2::pray:t2: for the heads up on the pandan cake - I ordered a half portion and had a very nice afternoon snack! This cake is exactly what I was looking for in my original post, and what a bonus that it can be delivered! I also ordered a bunch of dishes which will be dinner tonight.

Cake came in a simple box. I already took a slice before I remembered to take a photo:

View 1 of cake slice:

View 2 of cake slice:

I would say this is a very good pandan chiffon cake. Nice crumb and the pandan flavor was spot on. Could have been a little more moist but that’s just an excuse for me to order a whole cake next time. Compared to my favorite Bengawan Solo in Singapore, of course it was not the same but it was WAY better than the cake from Van’s Bakery and I have to say, smelling that pandan wafting from the box as I was bringing all the goodies in made me very happy!

Ordering was super easy and the owner who was responding was lovely to deal with. Will definitely order from them again and hopefully time they will have the pandan onde onde available.

8 Likes

The owner is an absolute sweetheart!!! In PreCovid times she would play music and sing Malaysian songs. Her husband makes the roast pork and char siu. Very sweet and nice Malaysian-Chinese couple.

Can’t wait to see the food pics

Did you see these? I don’t know what they are but I want them!

1 Like

2 Likes

We should continue posting stuff we want PRD to make #notsosubtlehints

5 Likes

I want a collab with PRD x Needle

@euno make it happen bro

2 Likes

Salt Baked Chicken - hmm so delicious yet so difficult to make at home. I wonder if some local Cantonese fluent roastie expert with overseas Chinese heritage might be eager to showcase this. P.S it’s highly conducive for takeout

1 Like

She offered that instead of onde onde but I wasn’t in a mung bean mood yesterday.

I’ll do my part by posting siu mai and hainan chicken pics only.

1 Like

My childhood favorite, hom yu!

hint hint @JLee

2 Likes

Did somebody say shrimp stuffed chicken 百花雞 and shrimp stuffed eggplant?

https:/uploads/default/original/3X/9/9/998250128a647e1eaa499e5b8b41916dd3c203b1.jpg

5 Likes

I had a good Hom Yu at Sea Harbour. Have you tried it?

Would love to see PRD and Needle do a Hom Yu. Very Canto dish!!! @JLee

Oh yeah did I mention a PRD and Needle collab?

A legit Sweet and Sour Pork too!

1 Like

I’ve made that once before. Took a bit of time but not sure how much I could get away charging for it though.

1 Like