Lotus of Siam

@PorkyBelly @attran99 Don’t forget to add fried bananas and a scoop of coconut ice cream for dessert next time. They go really well with the mango sticky rice.

1 Like

Great to hear this! The nam khao tod at night + market is almost identical. Also bistro na’s crispy shrimp, while never had at, is done in same manner as LOS. So you can bang bang those in LA for similar LOS experience :joy:

1 Like

Ordered this sake at another great dinner at LoS. Finally figured out that spice level 3 is perfect for our family. I would be ok with 4/5 but 3 is tolerable for everybody.
Crispy shrimp
Papaya salad
Green curry
Whole fried snapper
Crispy rice salad with sausage
Pad see ewe
Stir fried broccoli with deep fried pork - actually not as good as Ruen Pair

2 Likes

We went to the exact same places this past weekend.

Duh. We are FTCers. Where else would we go?

3 Likes

Stellar lunch at LOS.

Nam Prik Ong
A great ground pork and tomato based chili dip with a little kick which goes very well with the variety of raw veggies and chicharron.

Thum Ka Noon
This delicious appetizer reminds me of “pulled pork” with the use of shredded young jack fruit and ground pork.

Glutinous rice
Sticky and chewy. It goes very well with both nam prik ong and thum ka noon.

Garlic Prawns | garlic sauce, black pepper
Crunchy and delicious as always.

Crispy Duck Panang
Crispy duck skin, tender flesh, and a cognac based red curry cream sauce to die for. Please dunk your rice in that sauce to maximize your pleasure.

Crispy Mussel Omelet
This reminds me of the Taiwanese’s oyster omelet except that plump and meaty mussels are used here and that the omelet’s texture of crispy and Q are taken to the extreme. The accompanying spicy sweet sauce also adds to the intrigue!

Fried Banana
I love these. The spring roll pastry sheets are fried to a crisp on the outside and creates an extreme contrast with the now softened and creamy banana interior.

Coconut Sorbet
Super coconut-y and acts as a great palate cleanser. This is a must if you go for the fried bananas.

Mango Sticky Rice
Great as always with ripe and tender mangoes. It’s a far cry from the type and flavor of the mangoes used at Mott 32.

7 Likes

Damnit I always forget to order the mango sticky rice.

giphy

3 Likes

Why did no one ever say that you can get the garlic prawns spicy? We did spice level 5 tonight and they added jalapeños during the sauté process. It was so good we ordered another one! Going to order this every time from now on. I loved how the extra heat enhanced the sweet garlic pungency.

Also some fried rice with Thai basil, beef, and shrimp for carbs…we each had 2 Lotus lychee cocktails. Love this place!
Walked in at 5:45PM and grabbed a seat at the bar. Saw folks come in at 6PM and they were SOL.

8 Likes

Whoa game changer

1 Like

It totally was! Our server asked us if we wanted the garlic prawns spicy…and we were so surprised since we didn’t even know it was an option. He said you can make any LoS dish spicy if you want. We started with level 5 because we didn’t want to blow out our palates, but even at a 5, it was still mild and we could have handled more heat. It was amazing and delicious…a complete game changer indeed!

3 Likes

Nice. Although most of our other dishes end up being spicy so sometimes its nice to have a break. But definitely ordering these spicy next time.

No mango sticky rice or fried banana?

Unfortunately, no. Fried rice and garlic prawns x2 was already pushing it knowing we were doing the Aria bang x3.

2 Likes

I stopped here for lunch since they were booked for dinner. Walked in, waited a few minutes and was sat promptly.

Kana Moo Krob - stir fried Chinese broccoli, garlic, and crispy pork belly slices with oyster flavored sauce

This was a tad bit salty but I didn’t mind, because it was so delicious and the broccoli was cooked to a nice crunch. The salt level sort of balanced the richness of the pork belly and sweetness from the oyster sauce. Parents take note, if you want your children to eat their veggies, add large chunks of crispy pork belly.

Spicy Garlic Prawns

From the great wisdom of @attran99, I heeded the advice of ordering the garlic prawns spicy at level 5. Wow! Even better than the non spicy, it made the shatteringly crispy shrimp shells even more delightful. The level 5 was like a Jitlada level 1, next time i’ll tell them to let me have it with Thai hot. Still excellent nonetheless!

Drunken Noodles w/ Soft Shell Crab

Wanted some drunken noodles and the waiter recommended it with the soft shell crab. This was a tasty dish although the soft shell crab sort of got lost in the bold flavors of the dish, aside from the two fortunate bites with the crab guts. Next time I’ll order it with another protein. The dish was cooked well although not as spicy as I would have liked, I added a bunch of chili condiment.

Crispy Duck with Panang

Always a winner.

Dessert Platter - fried bananas, coconut ice cream, coconut sticky rice and mango

All good, perfect way to end the meal. I really enjoyed the herbal flavor and aroma from the coconut sticky rice. And parents take note again, to get your children to eat their fruits, wrap in egg roll wrappers and deep fry, then serve with ice cream.

4 Likes

So glad you enjoyed your meal! I just drooled on my phone reading your review. Now I’m going to need to plan a trip to go back.

3 Likes

I was unconsciously licking my lips and making this weird smacking sound looking at these pics. LoS is the best.

1 Like

We’re going to be in LV in a few weeks and have dinner res there for one of the nights. Sure got me in the mood :slight_smile: Thanks.

Have fun! Lotus of Siam is a gem for the city.

Thanks. We’re only there for two nights to see Jimmy Buffet. Lunch the day of is going to be Jaleo. I haven’t been there in close to 20 years, Bob even longer.

1 Like