Majordomo - Chinatown

Funny!

I thought he was responding to you but he replied to @aaqjr. :crazy_face: Yeah, Sysco doesn’t seem superior.

Thanks @Chowseeker1999!

1 Like

$9.50 / lb. in 2013. I believe they buy from a handful of similarish independent SoCal ranches.

1 Like

Definitely not sysco prices.

Thanks for the source! I’d love to do a side by side with other brands (although $9.50/lb in 2013 prices gives me pause).

$10/lb in 2019
https://www.instagram.com/p/B43AuHmh6YU/

5 Likes

So 80ish food cost assuming pork butt is ~8 lbs before adding in the cost of the other ingredients and labor cost. I’m not saying it’s good but you can see why its expensive.

Let’s assume Majordomo is using this pork. I can tell you that they’re not paying anywhere near $10/lb for it.

Even at 50% off its still more than twice as expensive as commodity pork. I doubt they are getting that big a break but who knows

I can say from experience that restaurants don’t get a very big break when buying from farms, ranches, and fishermen that sell only at top-tier farmers markets and direct to restaurants. There’s no middleman to cut out.

Oh
that soccarat/tahdig!

2 Likes

French dip! I’m willing to spring for my son, he loves French dip. Is this a lunch option?

2 Likes

Had duck crispy rice last night, it was perfect. As has been said before, the duck was tender the truffle flavor was not overpowering at all. We paired it with Grange Des Peres Rouge and it was magic.

2 Likes

Do you guys have a favorite area for dining?

Counter? Patio? Dining room?

FYI this dinner will be with a bro not a woman so I don’t care about lighting, mood, etc. Wouldn’t mind the counter if it’s a open kitchen and we can watch and ham it up a little with the cooks. Yes I do plan on getting those ribs!!! I guess a few of the bings as well

it is an open kitchen but the cooks aren’t really anywhere close to the counter. also, if you’re getting them ribs, you really should get a 4 top since the ribs and condiments take up the whole dang table.

4 Likes

I’ve been seated at the bar, the dining room, and the patio. I like them all. @moonboy403 is right
if you need table space, then the bar/counter seats may not have enough space.

2 Likes

If it isn’t too cold, the patio is so nice,

2 Likes

I’m also not sure if the bar offers that menu. i remember there being a different menu for the bar and the rest of the restaurant. i think they exclude the big main dish items.

not sure if this is still true

You could be right
we only had snacks at the bar with drinks while waiting for a friend who was late.

The couple of times I ate at the bar (not chef’s counter), everything but the large-format dishes was available.

1 Like