Majordomo - Chinatown

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRhpSRbNeWR/

4 Likes

tried out the domo bbq over the weekend and everything was fantastic. you won’t get the beef fat rice, but it’s great opportunity to try the apl whole plate short ribs by the half pound plus some other great items. hope they do this again.

prime rib dip, country ham beans, soy pickled daikon, kimchi, bread and butter pickles

the prime rib came on a buttery, slightly toasted, baked bing bread with some horseradish sauce on top, so good :heart: :blush: :heart: it didn’t even need the au jus. rivals gjusta’s prime rib butcher, it’s gjust that gjood.

I don’t even like beans but I kept coming back to these. I don’t know what was in this, but it had this savory depth of flavor, that wasn’t just sweetness. delicious.

whole plate short rib, pork belly, pork neck, ssam, ssamjang

something about eating pounds of meat with some lettuce just makes it feel healthier.

whole plate short rib
just as good as dinner

pork neck
sometimes pork neck can be way too fatty, but this was meaty and delicious with a subtle smokiness.

pork belly
fatty, salty goodness cut with some daikon.

16 Likes

I was there today with the wife, agreed it was a good meal, we got the pork belly and the short rib. We also got the tomato and stone fruit. The coconut pudding was also good.

I hope they do this more often, enjoyed that it was an easy walk in experience. I told my wife it might just be a one time thing and she was kinda sad about it

Here’s the menu

13 Likes

oysters, kimchi, kombu mignonette
thanks to @js76wisco i have to get oysters at majordomo now.
this time it was east v west. both were delicious but east coast wins this round. loved the mer bleues which were clean, with a nice deep cup and very meaty.

PXL_20210725_003811329~2

agate pearl

PXL_20210725_003829894.PORTRAIT~2

mer bleue (new brunswick, canada)

PXL_20210725_003842673.PORTRAIT~2

bing bing; cultured butter and honey; benton’s reserve country ham
like a needle and prd bang bang, the butter, honey and ham just go perfectly together.

PXL_20210725_004511330.PORTRAIT

PXL_20210725_004625510.PORTRAIT

PXL_20210725_005112569.PORTRAIT~2

PXL_20210725_005219266.PORTRAIT

(new) melon & cucumber, fish sauce vinaigrette, sesame
another great salty and sweet combo

PXL_20210725_004717162.PORTRAIT~2

prime rib, pickled onion rings, horseradish, au jus
perfect pinkish hue and rosy glow. nice crust, slightly smoky, deliciously fatty and salty.

PXL_20210725_010534065.PORTRAIT~3

PXL_20210725_010617107

PXL_20210725_010632681.PORTRAIT~2

PXL_20210725_010941530.PORTRAIT

PXL_20210725_010649598.PORTRAIT

pavlova, cherums, shiso

PXL_20210725_015040024.PORTRAIT~2

16 Likes

Prime rib and onion rings look amazing. Nice ordering.

1 Like

Warrior: I’m going to be honest. I think Majordomo is the most overrated restaurant on this Board. Dinner at Otium last night was clearly superior. This is not to hate on Majordomo. Peony and I have dined there five times and will continue dining there. But I want to provide my true opinion. The striped bass tonight was overcooked to the point of slight rubberiness. The tomato and peach dish was too acidic and harshly flavored. I founded it inferior to the tomato and melon dish we recently ate at Bicyclette and to the tomato dish we recently ate at Eszett. The green salad and summer squash were nothing special. I did enjoy the bing with chickpea hozon and the dessert of seven different kinds of stone fruit, all chopped. The stone fruit dessert was extremely creative in its simplicity and my favorite dish of the night.

Peony: This is our first time visiting Majordōmo since Covid. I feel the flavor of the dishes have overall improved. I like the bold flavors in the new dishes. Just to be picky, I find the lettuce salad and the squash are quite salty, while the striped bass could use a little bit more salt. My favorite dish tonight was actually the peach and tomato salad, which turned out to be a very beautiful combination. I agree with Warrior. I liked Otium last night more.

1 Like

I liked Majordomo the two times I went. I do think, though, that dishes can be hit or miss there (and misses can hurt quite a bit, given the price).

Majordomo’s my favorite restaurant, but the current menu is scaled back. I’m sure I’d have a great time with lamb bing, tomatoes, squash, and boiled chicken, but there’s no exciting new dish that makes me feel like I’ll be missing out if I don’t get there on my next trip to LA.

1 Like

crispy rice is finally back :heart:

https://www.majordomo.la/patio

4 Likes

And the dungeness crab pasta too! I can’t remember if this was on the menu recently, but if it’s the one with the tomalley (crab fat) then :heart_eyes:.

1 Like

yep the crab pasta and mac and chickpea are back too, they were both off the menu until recently. glad to see they’re slowly expanding the menu.

2 Likes

Good to see more items added back to the menu. They must have been able to hire some more staff.

2 Likes

I rec’d a group of friends to Majordomo recently and held my breath because I wasn’t sure they’d get it. But they were looking for dtla recs and it’s always my first choice - the space, atmosphere, food & wine make a big impression, so. To optimize the experience I rec’d a few favorites from this thread, Bing, Bing, Bing, and called ahead to preorder the Whole Plate Short Ribs & Beef Fat Rice for them. I even threw in @chewchow’s tag line “I go for the wine and stay for the food.” Success! Apparently, they sang my praises at the table. :blush:

10 Likes

i like it, @TheCookie’s preordering service.

3 Likes

I should try to figure out how to monetize all the free concierge services I provide for my friends & family. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

11 Likes

Let me know how you do that. Enquiring minds…:heart:

5 Likes

Okay… Hmmm. :thinking:

David Chang’s NYC restaurant is extremely amazing.

This? Not so much.

Note: Got this during COVID takeout but ate it immediately after bringing it back.

Bing - overrated. These bread variations (like Girl and the Goat) are baffling to me that people enjoy and would spend their money on…

Kimchi fried rice - nice, but nothing wow.

Fried chicken - given the incredible options such as Howling Rays, Daybird, etc in LA, this disappointed for being one of their star dishes.

I was not a fan and doubt I’ll be going back. Nothing stood out as anything out of the ordinary and frankly im amazed it gets any kind of hype other than in a “Gordon Ramsay/Bobby Flay ooh it’s a celebrity” sort of thing.

What are your favorite restaurants in Los Angeles?

5 Likes

I thought of asking the same question, lol.

3 Likes