Majordomo - Chinatown

Hmm, so many good ones! What type of food?

For example for a place supposedly known for it’s fried chicken, both Daybird and Howling Ray’s as mentioned above are leagues above David’s.

I’d honestly take KFC’s original recipe of blend and spices over whatever overpriced fried chicken I got here.

David talks a big game for a restaurant so similar to Girl and the Goat with their bread dishes. This is no Momofuku

I guess since this is a thread about Majordomo, I’d ask your favorite fine dining or similarly priced restaurants.

Majordomo is known for fried chicken?

8 Likes

Fried chicken’s not a star dish at Majordomo. It’s never even been on the menu when I’ve been there.

For me the standout dishes were the spicy pork bing, various incarnations of the salsa seca, stuffed peppers, Bounty bowl, pasta with hozon (also served at Momofuku), crab pasta, Korean-style steamed cod, skate rice, roasted duck with crispy rice, boiled chicken with morels and black truffles, and kakigori.

I’m not sure any of those would hold up very well for takeout. Nor, for that matter, can you really judge fried chicken if you don’t eat it fresh out of the fryer.

Do you order bread just so you can complain about it? How would you know whether it’s overrated since you’re against the whole category?

3 Likes

Agreed. They only serve it for brunch and it’s only decent.

1 Like

Yep, there’s definitely an issue with breads.

3 Likes

Whole Plate Short Ribs and Beef Rice… and don’t judge a restaurant by Covid take-out standards… and stop ordering bread.

10 Likes

Have you been since the possible downhill alert?

1 Like

I would say that judging Majordomo by take out fried chicken is not a realistic assessment of the restaurant. I did not even know they have fried chicken!
Try Whole Plate Ribs.

8 Likes

Is it on the actual menu or a take-out item? Something always sad about seeing a burger on the menu of an otherwise beautiful restaurant. A fried chicken sandwich is even less respectable.

Angler, Kali, Chi Spacca, Tempura Endo. All amazing.

Huh?? What does that mean? Food quality’s goes down?

Why do I order bread? Because apparently their Bing at least during COVID was 40% of the menu, as well as even now people rave about it. It’s friggin bread! Just another lazy attempt by David to make extra $$ while doing less work.

I’d like to try the pasta variations. I can’t imagine ever ordering boiled chicken for that price no matter how many fancy truffles it has.

Look at the current takeout menu and most of those items are not on the menu.

…and David.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much the opposite of the reality of the Momofuku group. They do a lot of extra work, e.g. in developing hozon and working with Adam Perry Lang to develop the whole smoked plate rib. For each restaurant they try to give the best value possible for the wide variety of price points they hit.

You know what’s lazy? Your trolling posts.

4 Likes

Yep, the Bing is a delicious vehicle for the wonderfully creative flavors and preparations. And the wine list (with the help of @chewchow :wink:) singlehandedly renewed my interest in wine.

4 Likes

To me, this is the point of many bread dishes.

The butter with the baguette at Republique/Bicyclette, Egg and Roe with Bing at Majordomo, Goat Liver Mousse with crumpets at Girl and the Goat…

I order a bread course mainly so I can have those other flavors that are included with the bread. When the bread though (as with those three examples above) are transcendent examples of flour+water+yeast it takes those accoutrements (so sorry for the really pretentious word but I couldn’t think of another one :upside_down_face:) to another level.

9 Likes

Maybe I’m simple…I think (as much as I enjoy the variety of options) simplicity works best with the fresh, hot bing at Majordomo. Butter, honey and Benton’s ham.

7 Likes

You’re both making me hungry. :blush:

4 Likes

BHx2 or is it BH² (bing ham butter and honey) is the play.

5 Likes