Majordomo - Chinatown

The Salsa Seca with Fried Shrimp was very good when I had it a couple weeks ago.
The shrimp was fried similar to Lotus of Siam with crispy shells and head. Our bartender mentioned that the flavor was inspired by Japanese/Korean snacks. Sort of tasted like a combination of furikake and honey sesame crackers.

1 Like

I went here recently, and while itā€™s pretty good the prices are absolute insanity.

There is no universe where that wagyu zabuton was worth $82, but those fries were delicious. Just not worth it for me based on other places Iā€™ve been to that have similar prices

You may not find it a good value, but where can you find one much cheaper?

Itā€™s not the cut of meat, I just didnā€™t find anything special with how they flavored or did anything to the steak. Had much better steaks in the 55-70 price range so was expecting to be ā€œwowā€™dā€.

Iā€™d rather go to Republique or a Nancy Silverton restaurant if Iā€™m paying higher end prices

(the crab salad from above was delicious though)

My point is that that steak dish is expensive because that cut costs a lot, not because Majordomoā€™s prices are higher than other restaurants. Generally wagyu seems like a bad value to me.

Happy hour Monday-Friday 5-7 pm.

Very intrigued

7 Likes

Interesting but also concerning when a top tier restaurant starts a random hh seems like death alert :skull: :rotating_light: but hopefully not.

1 Like

Conspicuous amount of reservations available on Resyā€¦ But who knows if thatā€™s a real indicator?

1 Like

Their space is definitely quite large. Havenā€™t been since Covid but we used to go often.

1 Like

I had no idea they had a happy hour!

death alert seems alarmist. My sense is that they donā€™t have a long wait list anymore because itā€™s 5 years old now. also that part of town doesnā€™t have the consistent appeal of westsiders that places like Bavel/Bestia/Damian do. That extra 10 min drive is a killer for Santa Monica folk. Iā€™m generally happier that finding free parking on the street is easier.

4 Likes

Yeah I wouldnā€™t sweat it so much. I went on a Monday night recently and it was mostly full other than 1-2 tables outside.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s good to hear! To be clear Iā€™m not rooting for death alert I want them to succeed.

Just seems like an odd offering suddenly and I know they have a big space with a challenging area for consistent patronage.

1 Like

They didnā€™t until this week.

Huh?

the mental journey from westside to arts district, or downtown at all. Iā€™m just quoting those I know that live that far west.

2 Likes

It really does seem much further even though itā€™s really not. I think anything more than 2 freeways gives you pause when making dinner plans from west LA

2 Likes

+1. I know a bunch of westsiders that consider koreatown east LA.

It can be a trek and take them sometimes more than an hour to get from west side to Arts District

1 Like

Market is tough right now. Gotta find new ways to generate income.

1 Like