March 2022 Rundown

Spring is coming…

Tonkotsu ramen with firm, thin noodles, from Ramen Nagi (Century City)… The Daily Special gyoza were strangely microscopic in size. They must have gnomes in the back kitchen making them. Tasty overall. Good tare, solid ajitama. Buta no kakuni was too tough - Stick with their chashu. Though full of umami, the consistency of the broth slurry was a bit too thick.

9 Likes

Damn it looks delicious tho…

1 Like

Classic meatball plate (with an extra side of meatballs), at Ikea (Burbank)… I know it’s just a ploy to keep shoppers shopping, but the food at Ikea has improved quite a bit since my last visit. I was pleasantly surprised. I have always been partial to the köttbullar (Swedish meatballs) there, but on this last visit, the salmon, garlic bread and strawberry shortcake were actually really delicious… #smaskigt

16 Likes

Great pic. If you said this was a new Aussie all day cafe in Venice specializing in flat whites and pastries I would have believed you.

4 Likes

By coincidence, this was our dinner last night.

Meatballs were like the other time I tried them when Ikea first opened here, tasty but rubbery, similar texture to Chinese fish balls. Potato pancakes would have been better crisped up in a pan rather than in the oven. Tunnbröd was like thin lavash, surprisingly good given that you just take it out of the freezer and leave it at room temperature for an hour.

2 Likes

The Burbank location has a new kitchen, and the texture of the kottbullars at this particular Ikea were more like homemade meatballs, less “industrial”-tasting; very similar to kottbullars I’ve enjoyed in the food halls of Stockholm.

2 Likes

You think they’re making the meatballs in house?

No, no… I doubt Ikea would do that. But whatever they’re doing at that kitchen in the reconstitution process, it’s resulting in a better-tasting product than before.

Maybe they switched from microwaving to baking.

Perhaps!

Wasn’t sure where to put this one but i have a Plywood report: Looks like Jason Neroni has something cooking in the old A-frame space. Can’t wait to hear what’s going to end up there!

2 Likes

I guess Eater had mentioned it, but I only saw this article when I looked up who Jason Neroni is :grinning:

1 Like

Aaah okay, thanks for the intel! Yah, he’s chef at the Rose formerly Superba snack bar, Osteria la Buca.

Just saw this now that I look to the Google lol

1 Like

Finally made it to Danny boys loved the pizza haven’t tried the Sicilian yet but I’m sure it’ll be :fire:

10 Likes

Did you ask for extra lingonberry? :heart_eyes:
I’ve never been given that much with an order before.

1 Like

Very observant of you. Yes, I did ask for extra lingonberry. #FreeLingonberry

2 Likes

Ok, Pizzeria Sei has my second fav pizza in LA now (Mozza will always be my no 1). Really great crust! Loved the prosciutto app and even the tiramisu was so good. We got there at a good time on Friday evening, around 5pm, without a reservation and were seated pretty quick.

Prosciutto (mozzarella di bufalo, arugula, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, toasted bread):

Diavola (tomato, fior di latte, basil, soppressata, chili flakes, olive, parmigiano reggiano, extra virgin olive oil):

Napoletana (tomato, basil, anchovy, olive, garlic, capers, oregano, extra virgin olive oil):

Calabrian chiles:

Tiramisu (mascarpone, lady fingers, espresso, Valrhona cocoa powder):

24 Likes

Republique OOE morning.

Pro tip: arrive early… & don’t sleep on the chicken curry puff/pasty

16 Likes

Proper etiquette is to get the whole damn :mango: passionfruit pie.

How was the mango? Ripe?

4 Likes

Y’all are a bunch of assholes. Now I have to go to Republique tomorrow. hmm….

17 Likes