March 2022 Rundown

Not the ripest, still a bit tart however didn’t bother me with the #nottoosweet base

3 Likes

Fosselman’s Lychee milkshake, inspired by an old @J_L post

15 Likes

F.O…

Choizo croquettes, steak frites, and a Uruguayan wine from the Tannat grape

13 Likes

Bought a box of ataulfo mangos from hmart a few days ago and they are absolute fire. Tastes like mango flavored candy.

5 Likes

Smorgasburg highlights: goat mafia, little fish, burrito La Palma

21 Likes

Ipoh Kopitiam in Alhambra

I had an Anton Ego in Ratatouille flashing back to his childhood kind of moment while eating here tonight. Ipoh Kopitiam’s really great Malaysian food instantly took me back to the 6.5 years I spent living in Kuala Lumpur when I was young. :smiling_face_with_tear:
Everything was so delicious, but the char kway teow was my favorite. It had really good wok hei, and while I like the very similar Indonesian kwetiau goreng at places like Simpang Asia and Borneo Kalimantan, I prefer Malaysian char kway teow because it usually doesn’t contain kecap manis and I like the lack of sweetness in it. I thought this one was near perfect. Maybe could have used more shrimp and Chinese sausage, but not a big deal to me.
The roti canai was crispy and flakey and also fluffy, the curries and rendang were seasoned perfectly, and I could have eaten like ten of the kaya toasts. I’m really looking forward to going back and trying more of the menu!

Kaya toast with butter, and Ipoh white coffee:

Roti canai with chicken curry and okra curry:

Nasi lemak with beef rendang:

Char kway teow:

29 Likes

That sounds great, going straight to the top of the list for my next trip to LA.

3 Likes

Pro tip: BYO akagai or pata mula for that requisite iodineny touch

btw, here’s a CKT pic from a kopitiam in Ipoh to compare

6 Likes

Lol. Great tip!

:heart_eyes: Looks so good! I remember we used to take the train to Ipoh from KL. I miss that.

1 Like

Speaking of kopitiams any other recs from here? Which one of the sweets/desserts would you recommend? Favorite drinks? I was hoping they would serve char kway teow.

Char Kway Teow imo is one the best noodle dishes ever. I am drooling at those pics

1 Like

Jiayuan Dumpling House in Redondo Beach

4 Likes

Chun La Hao Chong Qing Hot Pot - Temple City

Mushroom and spicy :hot_pepper: :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Dipping sauce

Kim Hong Eggrolls - Westminster

Order through that door hole. Or call in advance if you

Cha gio dac biet- crab, pork and shrimp :heart_eyes:

Carrot and Daikon - Garden Grove

Crispy pork belly banh mi - pretty good however does not come close to Little Saigon heavy hitters

Johnnie’s - West Adams

New onion rings and chili cheese burger

I-Naba - Torrance

Soba and tempura perfection :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Chicken wings

Alma’s Cookies and Co - Compton

Pecan sweet potato pie cheesecake :heart_eyes:

Tigres Fuego - Redondo Beach

Coconut horchata was damn good :heart_eyes:

Tacos were good enough for the area.

21 Likes

Those are some excellent hits!

Went to go check out Johnny’s a few weeks ago to check out the new Chili burger and Onion Rings as well but for some reason my photograph didn’t take! ARGHH!!!

My dad took a picture of his meal thankfully… it was his first time and he LOVED IT!!

As for my Chili Burger, it was really really good. As someone who grew up on Tommys… it’s certainly up there. It’s HEFTY. Big. Also, the Chili is a wonderful mix of classic Tommys and actual chili. In terms of chili, I like this burger better than George’s. Dad got a cup straight and gave me some of the left over which I put on Fritos a few days after. PERFECT.

The Onion Rings however were okay. For that George’s still takes the prize. They also seemed to have switched to frozen Crinkle Cuts vs. the Kennebeck they started with. That is fine by me, although I perfer the skinny fast food style that is at George’s… So while I am so happy to have Johnny’s in the neighborhood… I’m still hitting up George’s when in the area.

Everything else was lovely. The manager who you find often there said they hope the bar will open up again in the spring. They have been having a really good swing of business which makes me so happy. Lots of folks from all walks of life there last time I went. Also, there is plenty of outdoor seating as the property goes way way in the back.

–Dommy!

10 Likes

i really like Johnny’s West Adams but the parking situation is tough! cant find any parking

1 Like

It’s easy to get to from the 10 as well i would go more often if parking was easier. Parking is a bit easier by mizlala

1 Like

Yeah, the parking situation is tough. I believe they do have Valet. I go off hours and don’t mind crossing Crenshaw. More walk… less pastrami guilt…

1 Like

I just really enjoy that outdoor space they have and the food is solid. I think the chicken sandwich may be my favorite item there. I went on a Saturday night and it was completely packed with the line to order going down the street past the bar. There was a private event at the bar so parking was a disaster but I got lucky and found one up the street.

Valet in West Adams for a fast casual? Man times have changed. Reminds me of last weekend when I was picking up from Sunday Gravy in my crappy car and all the whites were looking down on me while I navigated through that small parking lot.

Los Cuates (Chula Vista, CA)

Mi Rancho (Escondido, CA)

Mariscos German (Escondido, CA)

Hogetsu Bakery (Chula Vista, CA)

Niederfrank’s ice cream (National city, CA)

Maybe nostalgia but my favorite ice cream anywhere

24 Likes

What’s the middle taco filling in the 2nd pic?