March 2022 Rundown

@paranoidgarliclover, Fish, not the most appetizing picture :joy:.

1 Like

The fabled Leaning Tower of Mariscos!

4 Likes

What’s are the top places in SD for fish tacos?

Reheated Pizza Wagon

5 Likes

@JeetKuneBao, here’s a list to start.

My most frequented places are Mariscos German, Kiko’s food truck, Mariscos mi gusto es, Seafood La 57, Oscars and TJ oyster bar.
I don’t know if these are the best in SD just ones I like. They also aren’t always consistent varying from sublime to just good. Lastly, prices of everything have gone up but some of the prices recently were eye-catching —$12 for one gobernador taco. Not saying the prices are unreasonable for our times just that they are high.

6 Likes

Not fish, but I love the pulpo enchilado (spicy grilled octopus) tacos at the Mariscos El Pescador truck in Chula Vista.

2 Likes

Not the most photogenic but Curry Hut is always great. One of the best QPR restaurants around. Two 3 item combo plates with rice and naan for $26 easily feeds a family of four. We usually have leftovers. Appropriately spiced and not dumbed down for the OC. Dal, aloo gobi, spicy eggplant and chicken tikka masala. We also like the chicken curry, chana masala and saag paneer. They are constantly refilling items throughout the day with lots of turnover. They have multiple locations in Fullerton, La Mirada and Pico Rivera. Nice family owned joint.

13 Likes

We hit Curry Hut for copious amount of Tikka Masala and garlic naan. I also love the vegetable dishes there.

4 Likes

Kid had SATs in Chula Vista so I had some extra time:

1st up, cabeza de borrego (outstanding) at De Cabeza (Chula Vista, CA), highly recommend this restaurant

2nd up, Mariscos El Pescador (gobernador taco (only $5.25!) was good, ceviche mixta (not pictured) was really good), (Chula Vista, CA)

3rd up, Fernandez Restaurant (beef birria—excellent) (Chula Vista, CA), highly recommend this restaurant (only takeout at this time)

4th up, Gloria’s bakery (Chula Vista, CA), bean, cheese and jalapeño stuffed bolillo

17 Likes

Happy 3.14 Day! The savoury pies from Pearl River Deli really hit the spot for lunch today.

12 Likes

Going to the American Museum of Natural History……what’s the move at Zabar’s? They got belly lox!

2 Likes

I always get a box of rugelach, a knish and soup at Zabar’s.

2 Likes

@Gr8pimpin

Zabar’s, Upper West Side, 80th x Broadway

Potato Knish. Filling! Dense. Buttery. Good stuff.

@$50 a pound. Belly Lox.
Okay I get it. Salty. Fatty. Luscious. Silky.

Nova Sandwich with everything on a everything.

Lox vs Nova. No contest. Lox all the way! Thanks for the education.

Also got some OJ, coconut water, and a cucumber salad for balance.

Zabar’s is wonderful btw! A must visit if you are doing the whole museum/Central Park thing.

17 Likes

My BP is raised just looking at this

6 Likes

Zabar slicers #1!! :100:

No Bang-bangs?

i.e Barney greengrass, gray’s papaya, oyster happy hour @ Mermaid Inn, burger @ JG melon, Pastrami @ Pastrami Queen, Sal & Carmine, Lolo seafood shack, Charles Pan Chix, Miznon, Charred Lobster Tail Salted Egg Hokkien Mee @ Wau (disclaimer have not been myself & don’t like their other resto)

6 Likes

I took my 10 of Lisinopril this morning. So good though!

I might just have water for the rest of the day lol

2 Likes

Been wanting to come here since I was a little boy

8 Likes

You are KILLING me!! Zabars is the happiest place on earth!!

Knishes AND lox!! DAMN!!!

Zabars knishes are my favorite!!! I love their meat knishes too. Do they still have kasha?

THIS ^^ (though maybe he meant from the salt LOL)

3 Likes

Oh yeah JKD you need to do this

1 Like

Heading to Scarrs right now for a slice. I guess I am more of a south of 14th type of guy

1 Like