Martin's Potato Rolls

$6/pack at Jon & Vinny’s goods.

3 Likes

That is where I got mine this weekend. They also Martin’s Sausage Rolls.

–Dommy!

2 Likes

Add chopped onions, ketchup, mustard, pickles

A pack of is like 3 bucks at Weggies

1 Like

where’s that at? I just roll up to the pizza shop and cop these?

1 Like

They’re at Kismet too if you’re on that side.

1 Like

Jon and Vinny’s Goods operates out of Animal restaurant across the street from Jon and Vinny’s Fairfax location.

Did a two bird one stone last week and picked up some pizza from JV and some beer+dumplings from goods.

1 Like

I see. Thanks for specifying where Animal is :stuck_out_tongue: lol… you must thing your in foodtalknooobs

1 Like

Amboy, Eggslut & Hangaburs join the boycott.

3 Likes

I know we started the convo above, but what are some good alternatives to Martins?

Someone mentioned WF and Sprouts brioche buns. I might try them, but I’m worried they might be too dense and overwhelm the filling.

Also interested in Kings Hawaiian burger buns - have tried the slider version. They go well with pulled pork but would they be too sweet for burgers?

1 Like

The WF brioche buns are a totally different animal. Not bad just different. The Hawaiian rolls are the closest facsimile but they veer too sweet for me.

I am also interested in alternatives that do not include making my own potato rolls.

2 Likes

They’re not gonna win against Martins in a taste test I’ll tell you that much.

Dog Haus has been doing burgers like this for a decade now.

Different animal but I really like these as a commonly available substitute. Fwiw when Ugly Drum ships their burnt end sandwich, they use WF brioche.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The Rockenwagner Bakery brioche buns (and pretzel buns) are pretty good and nowhere near as sweet as the Hawaiian rolls. They usually have them at WF, Gelsons, Bristol Farms, and some of the more high-end Ralphs. On their website, it looks like they make potato buns, but I’ve never seen them in stores so maybe for wholesale clients?

1 Like

Thanks @Pomsmoms for the rec on this. I happen to live pretty close to the Rockenwagner Bakery and Cafe so could try various items.

As mentioned, they do not stock the potato buns, but you can call them a day in advance and order. For the plain potato buns, the minimum order is a dozen, so that was a no go for me on this occasion. The sesame seed potato buns can be ordered separately.

Pricing comparison below:

• Rockenwagner potato buns (plain or sesame) - $1.80 each (plain needs to be 1 dozen or more)
  • WF or Sprouts brioche buns = $6.49 / 6 or $1.08 each
  • Martin’s rolls at Standings = $8.99 / 8 or $1.12 each
  • Martin’s rolls on Amazon = $22.99 / 16 or $1.44 (not sure why I didn’t just buy local at the time)

Note: Non-Nemroz dollars.

The Rockenwagner are plush and pillowy as you would expect on the inside, but the crust has a lot more structure. It’s very comparable to a baked char siu bun you’d get at dim sum. As a result, the entire bun isn’t as melt-into-your mouth as a Martin’s is. Also, the inside is white vs a Martin’s (not sure if that’s food coloring or something else).

So I liked the bun a fair bit, but aside from $ considerations, I’m not sure it scratches the same itch. (Last photo was 2 3 oz smashed patties for scale)

17 Likes

Thanks for the research. Appreciate the per unit pricing.

5 Likes

Wholesale, Martin’s are reportedly $34 for 600 (5.67 cents each).

3 Likes

Looking good, did you get a new smasher?

You, sir, are doing the Lord’s work. Also, great looking final product.

1 Like

Still using the pot for now :grimacing: