May 2021 Rundown

Burrata and Ramp pie from La Morra

18 Likes

Dining day 1 and it’s so good to be back in L.A. :heart_eyes:

Jus’ Poke in Redondo Beach. As good as ever. Three outside tables available.

Checked out the relocated Mitsuwa and tried the mixed matcha and hojicha parfait from Yamari. Delicious.

15 Likes

Yamari parfait looks great. Torrance Mitsuwa?

2 Likes

Road To Seoul in Koreatown. Wifey and kid wanted AYCE. Crazy good lunch price.

They have a good outdoor setup. The temporary outdoor grills aren’t so great but hey, I can’t remember last time I ate out.

Sorry for the lame photos.

11 Likes

Yes. The Torrance Del Amo Mall location in the new food court.

1 Like

Some highlights from Bestia last night

Chicken gizzards

Squid ink chitarra

Pork chop. Not quite Chi Spacca level but really solid

15 Likes

Simpang has out door dining, not sure when they started it was to go for a long time. Also go the the soto ayam

Mango passion fruit pie at republique last weekend.

Sad to be leaving this behind but oste is turning into one of our favorite neighborhood joints.

15 Likes

Inaba was the perfect choice for my birthday lunch. Wonderful food and service. My mom felt perfectly comfortable here, her first indoor dining experience since pre-pandemic times. Ohitashi, ume shiso soba, scallop kakiage (highlight of my meal!), and tempura natto, dry seaweed, and shiso roll. Also pictured (but not consumed), pumpkin tempura and squid tempura.

Patisserie Chantilly was my dessert choice, but not a good decision the day before Mother’s Day. Everything was out aside from one slice of chocolate roll cake and a handful of chestnut Mont Blanc. I went with the latter. While I love chestnuts and appreciated the refinement, this would not have been my choice if other options were available. I wanted to try the black sesame cream puff :cry:

Dinner with friends at Momed. Beautiful space with a large patio and partially open air indoor seating. I was so stuffed I could only manage a salad. It was nicely composed, but not very exciting in flavor.

My mom’s choice for Mother’s Day was Little Sister in Redondo Beach. I had in mind what I wanted to order before arriving because there were limited options without meat (I’m pescatarian for the time being). I was informed that my choice, and most of the vegetarian options, were no longer available as they transition menus. It was comical trying to order item after item and get shut down. I ended up with a tasty squid salad and a disappointing congee. My mom and brother enjoyed their orders, though my brother received the wrong sandwich. Not a recommended spot for vegetarians or pescatarians.

I had planned to get dinner at LAX terminal 1, but everything was shutdown by 7pm. Although my flight was filled to the brim, evening dining choices remain null in pandemic times. I bought a yogurt from the travel shop (thankfully open) and added some homemade granola my mom sent me home with :heartpulse:

I really wanted to get a sweet treat at Fat & Flour, but my schedule did not align this trip. An excuse to return soon :pie:

26 Likes

happy birthday. i really miss inaba and their shiitake tempura, are they seating at the tempura bar yet?

1 Like

Thank you! We went for lunch and the bar was not open. I’m assuming it’s not yet open for dinner either, as the bar counter seemed to be the makeshift storage area for to-go containers.

2 Likes

Ate at Bar Amá tonight and Jordan Kahn was sitting at the table over. Kinda funny thinking about him craving Tex-Mex

3 Likes

Angelo’s Pizzeria South Philly.

Cheesesteak with Copper and Fried Onions.
Cheese pizza.
“Upside Down Jawn”…square pie with sauce on top.
Italian Hoagie.

Underboob shots.

I am in love with South Philly neighborhood. Some of the best Mexican, Italian, Vietnamese, Cambodian Food around.

19 Likes

This small South Philly store could go down as a East Coast classic like DiFara’s, Frank Pepe’s, etc. The Upside Down Jawn square pie is insanely good and that was the best damn cheesesteak I ever had. You guys gotta go if you are ever out here. When I come back to CA I am going to be a sandwich and pizza snob lol

Now wtf do I do with all this food? Lol

7 Likes

South Philly classic dessert. Lemon of course

11 Likes

Has there been a post about the frozen croissants from Epicurus??? They are… INSANE. AMAZING. Light, shatter-y, buttery, delicious. I haven’t had a Chaumont croissant in years, but I kinda might think that these are the best croissants in LA outside of Chaumont.

My interior shot is a bit weird b/c I was using them for sandwiches.

13 Likes

Chocolate ones are good too

3 Likes

Pizza Wagon tonight. Another excellent pie!

1/2 cheese 1/2 pepperoni

Ahhhhh…. The chalices….

Underside…

Cornicione was nicely risen the rest was nice and thin.

Cross posting:
Pizza Thread

7 Likes

I believe that there is al pastor that is as good in LA, but I’m not sure there’s any that’s better than El Flamin’ Echo Park. Or maybe that’s the post-Dodger glow and two tall boys of 805 talking. Sorry the picture sucks.

12 Likes

Connie and Ted’s. The updated classics one of my fav local joints.

20 Likes

Franklins bbq feast. First time in my life where I felt repulsed after eating too much meat. So good but so rich.

22 Likes