May 2021 Rundown

Is that thru GoldBelly or are you really in Austin?

I was in Austin this weekend.

6 Likes

How was the line and wait?

So they are only doing pre-orders (drive through or walk up) right now. I got there for my scheduled time and within 10-15 min they came out with my order.

Sure beats waiting however many hours ppl sit and wait there for. I read an article that some people wait the whole day…:unamused:

3 Likes

Thanks to Goldbelly I have Snows, Franklins, and Bludsos in my freezer.

Mail order bbq is amazing - it goes straight from the freeezer into a 2 hour sous vide bath and tastes perfect.

Not surprisingly, the Bludso’s bbq sauce bottles are 50% larger than the Franklin and Snow’s bottles.

12 Likes

At what temp?

Dinner of five at Musso & Frank last night - they were so gracious throughout! There was a slight question about our reservation. (The person who made the reservation made an informal transfer to those of us who used it.)

We had a small wait while all things got sorted, and the host kept in touch with us. We all got seated in our preferred room (the room with the stand up bar which is not in use currently). It’s a great space - beautiful old Hollywood looking and sounding just as I remember, with the cocktails delightful. My table particularly enjoyed the gin fizz, the gin gimlet, the King Robb and the Cosmopolitan.

The food was just okay to passable*, but part of our celebration was the writing and publishing of a book with a Hollywood focus. It was the perfect place to be, and I’m really looking forward to going back again for more gentle celebrations.

*fwiw, two members of the table go to Musso & Frank more often than I, and they swear by boneless garlic half chicken entree.

12 Likes

165 - that’s the temp suggested by Franklins

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to having a martini at Musso and Frank!

Would rather eat in nearby Thai Town, but loving having a cocktail at the bar! The food is a little too old school for me.

6 Likes

Which one is your favorite brisket?

The bars that are at table level are open, and it looks like you can walk in or reserve. The stand up bar is not available yet. Happy martini.

Sounds great. That is so much easier.

1 Like

If you’re out there take advantage!

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to do a return trip to Austin to do the bbq. It’s been quite a few years and I know more people there now too…

In case you missed this thread over at the Texas board we we talked about Snow’s. I also found my old CH trip report

2 Likes

At what temp?

Zacatecas Restaurant in Hawthorne on Inglewood Ave . Funny, there’s another restaurant called Mi Zacatecas unrelated, down the street.

Super Crispy Carnitas

Grilled shrimp

Salsa that’s good enough to be a beverage

13 Likes

Haha, a good mex restaurant tableside salsa is almost like a gazpacho.

1 Like

Haven’t been to Zacatecas since I changed jobs. Man I miss that place. The guys running the place are the nicest and the carnitas is bomb.

3 Likes

Ba le west minister. Dac biet and egg w/ bacon.

So good.

15 Likes

Tesse. No chestnut soup this season but still a ton of good stuff. Favorite may have been the drink Speakerboxx. Yuzu foam was just perfect.

11 Likes