May 2021 Rundown

When Tijuana met Chengdu… The week-long “Pop Off L.A.” festival, brought to life by Andy Wang and Crystal Coser, culminates with a delicious collaboration featuring Chef Jorge “Joy” Alvarez (Tacos 1986) and Sichuan master Chef Yu Bo at Majordomo in Chinatown. Sichuan hot & sour black cod and jicama tostadas, peppercorn trompo in sesame-scallion corn tortillas, as well as David Chang’s classic Bing Board - It was all tasty beyond belief… Thanks for joining me in supporting the cause @chrishei

24 Likes

Gregory Doyen yuzu tart @ collab with Milla chocolates.

12 Likes

Egg tarts and assorted cookies from Paderia in Santa Monica. Tarts are vastly improved from a few minutes in the oven, cookies were almost scone-like. We’ll be back.

14 Likes

Did you pick up any condiments? The mayo is out of this world good

1 Like

Nope but I will make note to try it next time!

You should take the angle with the delicate gold flakes (just as a touch) on top. :wink:

3 Likes

Badamos Pizza, Pittsburgh

So good. This and Angelo’s South Philly are some of the best I’ve had so far.

11 Likes

My house is celebrating the passing of SB805 with dinner out tonight! The Significant Eater prefers low cost establishments and really likes vegetarian or vegan options. Alcohol isn’t needed - does anyone know if HP Pho Ga Bac Ninh is back to inperson and if it’s worth a drive?

We live in Boyle Heights and have Mexican a lot, as well as east LA area burger stands. (He gets breakfast sandwiches and current favorite is First Street Burgers)

4 Likes

Gaucho Parilla Argentina, Pittsburgh.

Down here in Iron City to hopefully get LASIK surgery done soon. Treated myself to this hotel room meal.

Grilled flank, chicken, and 2 kinds of chorizo. The chimichurris are so damn good, both red and green.

Some salad, bread pudding, and sangria also. Not much of a drinker but damn it I love me some sangria lol

11 Likes

PRD and holy basil both have vegetarian options and might scratch that itch for something non-Mexican.

Otherwise something a little more sit down might be chengdu taste or for new age Asian yangs kitchen.

Also a little further afield but mini kabob always is great for a casual stop.

3 Likes

That chicken! :yum:

1 Like

Happy belated birthday @chinchi! Great pics.

1 Like

They’re right! I rarely order chicken dishes in restaurants unless it’s their specialty, but my girlfriend ordered it last time we went to M&F and it was really good! Much better than my boring sand dabs.

Here’s a bad picture of it…

5 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

We went to Jitlada and highly enjoyed ourselves! Veggie spring rolls, Jitlada chicken wings and pad see ew with tofu. [by the by, I overstated what SB805 did. It passed the state senate vote, and now needs to be voted on by the legislature. I’m hoping for another celebration meal in the near future.]

5 Likes

Yes. Again. Zacatecas in Hawthorne.

Carnitas, all veggies instead of rice and beans

Fish taco

7 Likes

All day baby breakfast biscuit and chicken biscuit. In biscuit heaven soft fluffy and buttery . I could just have biscuits with their good ass jam

U street pizza. Vodka pepp pizza. This pizza is really good. Hard to categorize maybe a cross between ny style with neo-Neapolitan? Great chew/char on crust

Not pictured triple beam. Maybe this goes against the FTC intelligentsia but that place is not good. My friend ordered six pizzas all of them were bland and the crust was so limp.

17 Likes

Squirrel Hill hood in Pittsburgh near Shady x Forbes. Reminds me of Clement St in SF… Chinese restaurants, coffeeshops, asian market, bookstore.

Got to try the Burnt Almond Torte at Prantl Bakery. That outer layer has such great texture. This was pretty tasty! Went great with some coffee.

Taiwanese food at Bistro 33, 3 cup chicken was okay needs more sesame oil, garlic, and ginger for my tastes. That ong choy was $18 LOL!

Surprised with the authentic food, but not that surprise because of Carnegie Mellon University.

Salem’s in the Strip District. Middle eastern grocery store and grill. This snack of garlic naan and grilled veggie kabobs were pretty damn good.

Fallingwater!

18 Likes

Thought the same re: Triple Beam, it sucked.

2 Likes

bulgarini

as good as ever. pistachio is :heart: :blush: :heart:

strawberry, pistachio

chocolate salt, stracciatella

current menu

15 Likes