May 2022 Rundown

Last off-topic (for today): I’m totally looking forward to this tonight, and it better not stink like Boba Fett did (loved The Mandalorian).

4 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t6: :crossed_fingers:t6: :crossed_fingers:t6:

The new Andor trailer looks promising

2 Likes

Disney has ruined Star Wars

4 Likes

To be fair Georgie did a fair bit of that himself as well.

3 Likes

And I think I’ll be looking forward to that b/c… it turns out that creating more shows about characters where you already know exactly how things turn out just isn’t very interesting.

Yes I totally agree with that!

First time trying Zhengyalov Hatz. Pretty tasty. Probably not something I would crave all the time but once in a while, I’d be down.

15 Likes

Prime Pizza Burbank

Pepperoni slice and a square slice, the one they call the Sicilian.

It’s not Sicilian really, closer to a grandma, but damn if this was not absolutely fantastic. The first time I’ve gotten a crispy version of it. So, so, so good. I think this is my favorite of all the slices I’ve had ANYWHERE in recent memory.

I swear I’m tempted to go back and get a whole pie for dinner.

Doggy, giving me the angry look, was a big hit with the workers and customers alike.

18 Likes

Prime’s square pies are legit. I love supporting all the small pop-ups serving square pies, but Prime’s price x quality combo is #1 in my book.

If you don’t use Uber Eats too often, they will send you coupons like 40% off (up to $15) to try to get you to come back. When I see those coupons come, I know it’s pizza time!

6 Likes

I live about a 5 min drive from here so we pick it up almost every other week. The square pies are the way to go, but unfortunately the family prefers a round pie so I usually have to get a couple square slices on the side.

@Starchtrade Prime has it’s own rewards system as well if you order from them directly.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check it out.

Ran up to the city for lunch…

Rappahannock Oysters -

The oysters were delicious! Got a mix of Rappahannock, Olde Salts, and Rochambeaus. It’s been a while, and I found the Rappahannocks really sweet and the Rochambeaus reminiscent of my favorite Island Creeks. The achiote cocktail sauce and mignonette sauces were delightful.

Lobster poutine for fun. Lobster was plentiful and perfectly cooked.

Afuri Ramen -

Yuzu shoyu…a little ponzu-esque but that’s okay. I enjoy ponzu. The egg was jammy. Chashu nicely roasted and charred. Loved the chew on the noodles. Would try the shio next time.

The housemade ginger ale and yuzu limeade sodas were also great.

21 Likes

That’s why it’s on our regular rotation, too. Stuffed to the gills w/ good stuff for $15/person is pretty swell, nowadays.

I didn’t know that!!! Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

Mama Lu Dumpling House in Monterey Park

Pork & crab xlb:

Lamb dumplings:

French style beef tenderloin:

XO seafood fried rice:

The Win-Dow on the Venice Boardwalk

Double cheeseburgers & fries:

Birrieria Jalisco in Lynwood:

Birria de chivo and quesadillas de chivo with handmade corn tortillas:

Pearl River Deli in Chinatown

Hainan chicken:

Char siu plate with noodles:

Five spice chicken wings:

Strawberry shortcake bolo bun:

Churrasquitos Los Panfilos stand on Venice Blvd & 3rd Ave in Arlington Heights

Churrasquitos plate with handmade corn tortillas and spicy salsa:

Shucos mixtos (Guatemalan “hotdog” with salchichas, longanisa, asada, and cabbage):

We got so lucky coming across this fantastic stand this evening. The asada was perfectly cooked and tender, the tortillas were great, the shucos were addictive, and the people who run it are so damn sweet. Cash or Zelle only. Open Friday & Saturday 6pm-11pm.

33 Likes

Great reporting!! I can’t wait to try that Guatemalan stand… It’s right up the street for Surfas!!

1 Like

Damn nice find with that Guatemalan stand!

1 Like

Myung In Dumplings

The koreatown location.

Pan Fried Pork & Shrimp

Steamed Pork & Kimchi

I keep forgetting they have a location in Northridge. I really need to get back there.

10 Likes

:sewing_needle:

Hamachi

Sugar Snap Peas

Ong Choy

Pork Jowl Char Siu

The Best GD White Rice on Earth

18 Likes

How was the hamachi? The vinaigrette on mine was aggressively salted but there wasn’t enough brightness to offset it.

Thoughts on the new char siu?

1 Like

Carnitas El Momo - Monterey Park

Dos tacos de maciza y cueritos :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: y un taco de maciza

Golden Delight - Rosemead

Passion fruit juice

Bun bo hue

Cha gio :heart_eyes:

Pho dac biet :heart_eyes:

Wadatsumi - Torrance

Curry w/ hamburg

Olsen’s Danish Village Bakery - Solvang