Mes Amis - Hollywood

Peony: We visited this restaurant three months ago, and I had a good impression. We decided to visit again last minute today and were surprised to find out they are closing. All the dishes tonight were pleasant. This would be a great neighborhood restaurant with quality food. The waiters were very nice and attentive. I can clearly see they have a strong bond with the chef and they enjoy working there. It’s sad to see restaurants like this go because of ownership, but on the other hand I’d be curious to see what new restaurant will appear in this space.

Warrior: Today is the last day of Mes Amis. So many vulgar, grotesque restaurants thrive — even get critical acclaim — while this quality restaurant dies. Beethoven and Mozart also had trouble paying the bills. 6.1 Warrior Points.

1 Like

What’s their last day?

Googling found no news of this. Scoop?

1 Like

Today is the last day, the waiter informed us. The restaurant is only seating 100 people a day and the owners want more. No info on what restaurant will fill the lovely space. Many of the waitstaff will go to Mother Wolf.

Damn, if it’s true, Lincoln Carson can’t catch a break.

I’m not shocked though–some underwhelming reviews (including my own impression) and being right next to Mother Wolf…

3 Likes

I respected the effort and professionalism I saw from both the kitchen and the waitstaff on the last night. It made me a fan of the chef. I saw him back there working. I don’t think Mother Wolf is clearly better than this restaurant. My hypothesis is it’s mostly media hype. All the articles about Funke being the pasta nazi. I don’t know. There’s no accounting for taste.

Any business (including restaurants) is as much about quality as it is about finding ways to promote/sell your product. A chef who is good in cooking but not interested/experienced enough in the business part will be most likely failing.

2 Likes

I think traditional French bistro food’s relatively unpopular in LA these days. Pasjoli’s not full every night.

Mes Amis is / was part of the same group as Mother Wolf. I don’t think the chefs deal with the business part much.

1 Like

To be clear - we are just repeating what our waiter told us. I certainly found the waiter credible, and there are no longer available reservations on Resy. But otherwise I can’t find anything online that confirms it.

I feel for the guy. His desserts at Bon Temps were so damn good. I sadly never made it to Mes Amis mostly due to friends telling me it was pretty meh.

holiday vacation

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmW9u0XssOv/

Hmmm. We will see. I hope that is right. It simply isn’t consistent with what the waiter said, but maybe they are trying to figure out a way to make it work.

chef is leaving, restaurant will stay open.

Sounds plausible. The waiter said it hadn’t been decided what the new restaurant would be. But maybe they decided to carry on with Mes Amis.

I sure as hell preferred Bon Temps to Yangban Society.

i had a bad experience here banging after mother wolf. got the pavlova (which was fantastic on a previous visit) and the meringue was chewy and rubbery and basically inedible, it was sent back. pretty disappointing since sergio is a pastry chef.

1 Like

Lol this quote!

5 Likes

What is your source for chef is leaving but restaurant will stay open?

That’s pretty weird. Not sure how meringue can be chewy and rubbery LOL.

4 Likes

I guess Lincoln Carson no longer considers them “my friends.”

1 Like