Michelin California

Surprisingly Shunji off the list now when others that had take-out only kept their stars.

Their jewel box is frikkin’ bonkers good. So, yeah. Happy for them.

1 Like

Did any restaurant lose their star from last year?

shunji seems to have lost their star.

Kaneyoshi not getting any stars is a travesty

2 Likes

Maybe they haven’t been open long enough? No idea.

Lost star:

Shunji (1 to off guide - address change/not open before publication)

Lost Bib Gourmand:

Ayara Thai (Plate)
Bowery Bungalow (off guide)
Cassia (Plate)
Eveleigh (Plate)
Grand Harbor (off guide)
Guerrilla Tacos (Plate)
Katsu-ya (Plate)
Il Pastaio (Plate)
Majordomo (Plate)
Meizhou Dongpo (Plate)
Papilles (off guide - closed)
Petit Trois (Plate)
Rosaline (off guide)
Salazar (off guide)
Sqirl (Plate)
The Thai Thing (Plate)

4 Likes

Kaneyoshi def not open long enough for a star. Otherwise they carried all but Shunji over from 2019 regardless of status. Melisse technically reopened post-review window and kept theirs. Also, Selby’s in NorCal got a star while closed all of COVID (but opened before then).

1 Like

If Shunji can manage the mosquito and smog at his new place the oversight will be an embarrassment to Michelin LA.

8 Likes

Kaneyoshi was open at least five months before morihiro for takeout and they both opened up within the same week for dine in.

6 Likes

Maybe its because of the FOH/host situation?

5 Likes

Warrior: maybe Michelin couldn’t get a reservation? I’ve never had any luck. Takeout was good.

Warrior: haha. Personally, I think Republique is borderline and am fine with it not getting a star. I’m more surprised that Angler didn’t get a star, particularly given that its sister restaurants have gotten stars. But the good thing about Michelin is — you don’t hear too many complaints that the restaurants that got stars shouldn’t have gotten them.

1 Like

Thanks - kept thinking it was the other way around. Assumed cutoff for review period was around April.

actually this is quite possible!

I think hayato is a lot harder to get into than kaneyoshi

2 Likes

Happy for the Sushi/Bar team. I haven’t been to the Encino location, but thought the meal and drinks I had in Montecito were phenomenal in terms of taste and creativity. By completely giving up the ghost on being “authentic,” they freed themselves and are doing something special. Haven’t tried pasta/bar, but it’s on the list.

Perhaps not so if you have been there before and can plan ahead for months.

Agreed that Angler is more deserving of a star than Republique.

1 Like

Love that.