Michelin California

One guide’s list of over 200 restaurants is likely to include most of the places on any other guide’s list of under 50.

14 of the 25 restaurants that got Michelin stars were on Jonathan Gold’s final 2017 101 (and I think half the rest opened later).

So that implies that Michelin is a “better” guide since it’s more inclusive than Eater’s when Eater is bashing Michelin for not being inclusive enough. #hipocritcaleater? #butistillloveeater

Thanks for your hard work!

DeSano or Cosa Buona make any list?

Cosa Buona made the Plate list. I dont think Desano is on any list.,

1 Like

I”d say Bib Gourmand > Plate. No matter what they say, cheap eats aren’t going to get a star. So these “good” places get Bib Gourmand. La Plate seems to be any restaurant from, say, French Laundry to Taco Bell, that inspectors liked but aren’t deserving of any star/bib gourmand designation.

I don’t think someone who was already reading LA Times food reviews is suddenly going to stop just because Michelin is doing ratings. Does the LAT even do ratings for restaurants they review? I think JGold stopped doing them and don’t remember seeing the new folks bring them back.

2 Likes

This is an aside, but it’s an interesting article. I was on the anti-star team before and I remained so after reading:

3 Likes

No, but I think these restaurant critics still view Michelin as competitor of sorts. Imagine if Addison says he thinks Michelin is a good guide with good recommendations. Then people might listen to Michelin rather than his picks. When Michelin came to NYC, New York times stars became much less important as Michelin stars took over. Likewise in SF. Even though in both cities the three michelin starred restaurants coincided a lot with the 4 star critics, Michelin was the rating that mattered. Again, not the case in LA but there might still be some effect.

Bestia got a plate. If you don’t have tasting menus with wine pairings you’re not going to get a star.

But I am surprised Felix didn’t get a “plate”.

Bistro Na, CUT, Rustic Canyon, Osteria Mozza

I don’t consider the plate as an award. Every restaurant the inspectors visit, and write about, get a plate. If a restaurant doesn’t get a plate it’s fair to assume it wasn’t visited by inspectors. I know they say otherwise, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case.

That’s a good read! Thanks!

JG eliminated the stars, but he did something worse IMO. He ranked 101 restaurants annually…

Hey - I just checked, you want a Saturday night rez at Bestia for a party of 4 at 8PM? Piece of cake!
How about Felix? No problem, just walk-in whenever the fuck you feel like.
Michelin has saved us all.

4 Likes

When you go, you will understand. Still, he’s a gem, but a work-in-progress.

1 Like

6 months from now: Felix slated to close, due to declining business. (Yay Michelin.)

1 Like

I’m sorry CiaoBob, but I see no Saturday reser at Bestia for 4 during prime time until 8/3.

2 Likes

Not getting on the JG 101 list certainly didn’t make it easier to get a reser there.

Exactly to his point of carpetbagging. Robert disagrees, but I’ve confirmed through many sources inside of Michelin that most inspectors do not live in the Southland.

So what restaurants did Michelin completely snub from all lists, even la plate?

The most egregious omission I think is Gjelina.

1 Like