Mori Sushi - OOE Omakase

the legendary og maru-san is still going strong, making some of the bestest nigiri in la :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart: and he’s doing it all by himself with no prep cook or assistant, pretty impressive.
thanks again @NYCtoLA

highlights
smoked toro, smoked takuan
piping hot matsutake dobin mushi
umaki
tai no kobujime
hotate
aji
buri
akami zuke
masu with aged soy
amaebi
otoro
iwashi
kuruma ebi
kinmedai
uni
torotaku

eggplant, shishito pepper, dashi

umaki

waka momo, tomato, chestnut

smoked toro, smoked takuan, smoked bora shirako

abalone liver

awabi

seikogani

matsutake dobin mushi

tai no kobujime

hotate

tako

hata

aji

amadai

buri

akami zuke

masu

kamasu

amaebi

otoro

iwashi

kuruma ebi

kinmedai

uni, yamaimo, shiso, nori

bonus rounds

shirako

saba

akami zuke

torotaku

fin

19 Likes

Maru-san’s quality control is second to none. Did he raise the price on the omakase? He told me not long ago that he’s trying to keep prices the same in this time of inflation by doing almost everything himself.

4 Likes

Damn, I need better friends.

4 Likes

250 before bonus rounds when i went. aka != $400

7 Likes

Ha, I just made our reservation!

Funny side story - at the end of the meal, as we were cleaning Maru-san out of his sushi inventory, he turns to me and says “Hey NYCtoLA! Next time you bring @PorkyBelly, please let me know in advance so I can prepare!”

(Ok, in fairness to Porkybelly, with his next breath, Maru-san said “I know you eat a lot, but if it’s the two of you, I really need a heads up!”)

17 Likes

Amazing.

1 Like

Love it. :sweat_smile:

Looks fantastico @PorkyBelly.

Last night one of my dinner companions asked which high-end sushi-ya is my favorite. I told him I love Sushi Kaneyoshi, but joked that my favorite is someplace I’ve never been, Mori Sushi. :wink:

6 Likes

Smog?
Flies?
The scent of an old hound (who recently visited)?

5 Likes

Does anyone know how Mori is operating these days? Do you need to arrange something with them directly?

2 Likes

All by himself :face_holding_back_tears::face_holding_back_tears::face_holding_back_tears: This cannot be a one man show. Magical!

2 Likes

Maru-san was still a one man show back in June when I visited…still killing it

3 Likes

yes, just call and reserve.

1 Like

the greatest boarded-up and graffitied michelin restaurant ever?

12 Likes

is the graffiti addition for sure not intentional? it almost actually fits the Mori aesthetic…

i went to Mori NYE to celebrate my mom’s birthday

Maru-san is selling the place and moving back to Osaka to do some “diplomacy” food work between there and Taiwan. he’ll be back and forth from Japan<->USA a bit–leaving here in March, and back as soon as June for 1.5mo (available for catering events during that time)–and will always maintain a relationship with the restaurant, but it will no longer be “Mori”

the new owner, who i’m not familiar with, will be maintaining the interior, the ceramics, general atmosphere, etc. besides a few things Maru is personally attached to and will be holding onto.

Mori is the place, fresh out of college, where i learned what good sushi is… back when the omakase cost $120/pp. (after Morihiro-san gave up his singular obsession with rice and started branching out). i’d barely been going for a year, when i indicated to Maru how much i loved a piece of kohada he served. he reached underneath the counter display, pulled out a tray of shinko, delicately laid out a constellation pattern, and schooled the fuck out of me with a single piece of nigiri.

it’s where i met Yoshi-san, and formed the longest chef friendship i’ve had. i will follow Yoshi to the ends of the earth. i have been so unbelievably happy to see his well-deserved rise to the rank of fine dining (maybe less thrilled about the well-deserved cost and feeling bad about having to text him for reservations)

the meal was fantastic. some of the finer details are lost, particularly in the pre-sushi portion. it is absolutely impossible to give everything 100% attention when you are doing 1000% of the work. i’m amazed the more delicate items came out well when he’s literally bussing the table at the same time.

is it time? yes. am i heartbroken to say goodbye? fuck yes. does anyone else care or remember? who knows, but i hope so. this place is extremely important to me and will remain in my heart forever.

10/10

bonus face reveal

20 Likes

the new chef is also named mori

6 Likes

Female sushi chef?

1 Like

yes

This is exactly what happened to me as well!

3 Likes

great post - thank you
definitely miss those omakase dinners with Maru, Yoshi, and Take back in the early-mid 2010s

4 Likes