Most important message of new year so far

So most of the people in SF? Well, everyone who works for a tech company?

The hipsters Iā€™ve met work at restaurants, bars, coffee places, nonprofits, libraries, and hipster-friendly retail and service small businesses such as bike shops and barbers. Iā€™ve met a few at tech companies but not many.

Iā€™ll tell my 72 y.o. husband. Heā€™ll love it!

The apartment we stayed in in Brooklyn had seven bikes hanging on the walls, five in the bedroom and two in the entry way. No car.

1 Like

Your criteria describe all of my friends that work at major tech companies in SF haha

And pretty much everyone Iā€™ve observed when hanging out at Google campuses with friends.

Thereā€™s no age limit baby!

Please donā€™t call me ā€œbaby.ā€

I donā€™t remember seeing any hipster types either of the times I interviewed at Google. If I hadnā€™t known it was a tech company, Iā€™d have guessed I was on the campus of a world-class university.

1 Like

Please donā€™t respond to my posts.

Another hotbed of hipsters!

Well just saying your criteria certainly define Google employees. No cars, good beer, food etcā€¦ ride bikes when in SF.

Idk what other criteria youā€™re using haha

I donā€™t believe you have control over that.

1 Like

if you ever wondered ā€“ and theres no reason you should ā€“ why i think ā€˜hipsterā€™ is meaningless, may i present the posts in this thread, made by a series of self appointed baal shem tovs of hipster identification.

yā€™all carry binoculars and little notebooks, too?

1 Like

I donā€™t have a definition, itā€™s just a style of conformity. I go into a store or bar and 90% of the people there seem to be following a strict dress code. Sorry, maā€™am, you canā€™t come in here without a tattoo.

1 Like

oh bullshit.

Of course no one would ever say that.

I went to hear a friendā€™s band play one time at a storefront art space. Every guy except me and the band had blue jeans and a long-sleeved plaid shirt, and every woman had a vintage-looking sleeveless summer dress (showing off their tattoos) and cowboy boots. It was so surreal that I looked around the room trying to find an exception.

I presume they donā€™t feel like the conformists I perceive them as.

1 Like

Then I donā€™t believe you have control over my posts.

Feels like you can say that about any place you walk into to me; the dress code just changes from place to place.

o.k., robert, iā€™m not going to go round and round with you on this anymore.
my experience runs contrary to yours.
iā€™ve never been to a club, bar or restaurant where the patrons are
dressed so uniformly.
i havenā€™t heard the word ā€œconformistā€ used so much since elementary school.
when iā€™m eating and drinking (or listening to live music), what everyone else
is wearing doesnā€™t mean much to me.
when i read the word ā€œhipster,ā€ it doesnā€™t tell me much.

thatā€™s me at this moment in time.

3 Likes

Iā€™m almost 70 y.o. and a respectful term for me isnā€™t ā€œbaby.ā€ Not even ā€œgirl.ā€

1 Like

Most places I go people are dressed all different ways. Thatā€™s why itā€™s startling to see such uniformity. Though come to think of it Iā€™ve see that only in Oakland.

When we were in San Diego last June we saw a couple of places where all the women were blonde and wearing heels, all the guys were clean-shaven with untucked shirttails, and they were all tan.