Mother Wolf

Dear mother of god.

8 Likes

That’s my MO, they can’t put in orders for what you haven’t told them yet.

2 Likes

you think one would get some kind of extra credit for eating it a la Funke?

3 Likes

Dropped in for some seats at the bar last Friday. We were in the ‘hood on the way to a full dinner.

Aspettare
A delightful cocktail with egg whites…it’s Bombay Sapphire, so it was a touch medicinal, but very refreshing on a hot day and I love the texture of an egg white cocktail.

Diavola
Like a cracker…and in a good way. This pie was super yum! Great toppings, great crust…I really enjoyed it.

La Mortazza
Such a delightful sandwich! Nice chewy crust with a hint of crisp, crunchy pistachios, great mortadella, and an airy lemon scented ricotta. Y’all were right!

Walked in for bar seats at 5:30PM. Left for our actual destination at 6:15PM. Service was exceptional. There were still plenty of seats at the bar…but also it was Friday of Labor Day weekend, so folks may have been out of town.

12 Likes

Inquiring bellies want to know.

1 Like

It was a hosted sushi and cocktails dinner.

I was a guest (so no photos…sorry) and wasn’t able to ascertain the caterer, but the neta and shari were probably as good as a reliable neighborhood sushi joint and not a sushi temple. Though the scallops served crudo-style with yuzu and shoyu were pretty impressive.

The bartender service was via Nomad Cocktail Co.. They were pretty good, but not as good as @T3t Mr. Bartender. There were 3 signature cocktails and they were out of 2 of them an hour and a half before service was over. Cocktails were good, but nothing to rave about.

6 Likes

I had a friend cater a sushi party at his house and sushi menu basically had nikiri or torching on every piece of nigiri I was like :flushed: :grimacing: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s an interesting dinner!

Appetizers were spicy tuna crispy rice, tuna takaki with crispy onions, hamachi with yuzu koshu, and the aforementioned scallops.

Nigiri options were bluefin tuna, salmon, hamachi, and kanpachi. All ganished with various things like yuzu koshu, garlic aioli and I forget what else…I was a little too lazy to read the menu.

Maki rolls had spicy tuna, scallops, blue crab, and vegetables.

On the side, while not actually fresh wasabi or the best ginger, were little pipettes of shoyu. I got a kick out of that…but I’m also a sucker for amusing packaging.

They presented mochi ice cream balls cut in half for dessert.

There was one chef doing much of the work and a sous/server. Food was consistently pumped out of the kitchen and prettily plattered up. They surprisingly cleaned up quite a bit before they took off after end of service.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty fancy menu and a good time! I’m always wary when chefs put a bunch of flavoring on sushi makes me think they are either masking flavor or quality or both.

But I guess I shouldn’t be so snobby when comparing catered sushi vs the quality sushiyas we have in LA

2 Likes

It all depends on who’s helming the knife and kitchen.

Last year, the same house hosted a party catered by Soosh! which was definitely of higher quality. I think the chef trained with the Nobu team for many years.

I was more impressed by the neta offerings…but the shari was just okay and I wasn’t a fan of the usage of truffle oil in multiple nigiri offerings.

But am I gonna say no when these folks invite me to dinner? Probably not.

3 Likes

Can’t beat free!

1 Like

Still worth going or just a sceney hangout place?

Looks like the must gets are pizza and mortazza?

porchetta, squash blossoms, prawns, panzanella and spaghetti all’arrabbiata are also worth a try.

1 Like

Overall better than bestia or on par?

1 Like

About par IMO. Both good in their own ways with different 10/10 bangers.

1 Like

:axe: :wolf:
Appetizers :heavy_equals_sign: :heavy_equals_sign:
Pizza :white_check_mark:
Pasta :white_check_mark:
Secondi :heavy_equals_sign: :heavy_equals_sign:
Dessert :white_check_mark:
22 Likes

Hahaha amazing graphic

4 Likes

:axe:?

2 Likes

Clearly, it indicates that the comparison must be a hatchet job.

2 Likes

I was surprised at the size of the pasta portions at Mother Wolf on our visit. Was expecting Felix sized and we got absolutely destroyed. Oxtail meatballs are worth ordering. +1 to the squash blossoms and spaghetti all’arrabbiata. Carbonara also good when we went. Arrosticini is a nicely executed smaller secondi.

5 Likes