New Smoker - Now What?

I usually freeze the bones and make stock later. That way I don’t have over-smoke hangover.

1 Like

Using your technique for an 18 lb. whole roast right now. I dry rubbed it last night and just put that sucker in at 225. Looking forward to sharing it with our extended family at dinner tonight.

3 Likes

Because of your cooking skills,I’m sure it will turn out great, looking forward to your tasty pictures!

3 Likes

Amazing and fabulous! Thanks, @Hungrydrunk!

11 Likes

That looks awesome!

1 Like

Yeah even majordomo has the dreaded grey ring at the edges. Yours look pink edge to edge! Nice work!

2 Likes

Thanks! I cheated and used the electric Traeger smoker for this one. 225 for 5-6 hours…just walked away and never opened the lid to check on it. It wouldn’t have turned out this lovely if I had manually managed our regular smoker…I wanted to be lazy today.

4 Likes

I like the traeger . Look at it like a Tesla with auto drive .

1 Like

Not cheating! That’s smart!

2 Likes

on a completely unrelated note in regards to your link, the most interesting man in the word is about 5’4". i met him once at a cigar lounge about ten years ago. this explains why he’s always sitting down, and/or standing with nothing around him for reference of scale.

Picked a whole brisket from Amboy and Chef Alvin Cailan today. Does anyone have a favorite method of prepping it before tossing it into the smoker at 220? I usually dry rub and then then throw it in. Have tried the mustard coat and beef broth injections. Haven’t really loved any of those attempts.

3 Likes

Honestly if you have good beef i prefer just salt and fresh ground pepper. The mustard coat is by me, i use dijon and as little as possible just to help the seasoning to stick. Then i layer the pepper first then salt.

2 Likes

Franklin BBQ uses just kosher salt and pepper (16 mesh)

Some put a hot sauce and then salt and pepper, just to make sure the S&P sticks to the meat.

Is the brisket trimmed? If not that’s something that needs to be done too

1 Like

I’ll trim it Sunday night so I can easily prep and throw it on the smoker early Monday morning.

1 Like

I’m just a salt and pepper guy too. The mustard didn’t really impart any flavor. I think its just to help create the bark and keep the seasoning on. I loathe yellow mustard.

2 Likes

My best results have been salt and pepper only too. I have an awful time maintaining the right temperature when it’s this hot. Good luck.

1 Like

Gonna cheat and use an electric smoker for this one. Taking nothing to chance so I can try maximize the great product I got from Amboy.

2 Likes

I haven’t done a brisket in a while but I think one of the keys is a good long rest after you hit the internal temperature you want your meat to be at. So get the cooler and old towels out and snuggle that brisket in there for a long while

2 Likes

I think it’s time to eat frozen food not Bbq :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Rest is key, at least 2 hours for brisket in my experience.

2 Likes