Northeast Los Angeles eats

Stopped by Hail Mary to grab some to-go pizzas. Asked about David Wilcox, the chef/owner, and if I heard things correctly, he sold the business but everything is staying the same? I’m trying and failing to find proof of this.

Curious what he does next. Also no clue how I would know bc I can’t find any of his socials.

Bummer: there was a pre-pandemic period where HM was at a really, really high level, especially with their salads and such. And David seemed a really good dude.

5 Likes

Unsure if it’s been mentioned but Cafe Triste is a really fun spot. Recommend pre or post Lasita or Corridor 109 or Oriel or whatever classic Chinatown spot you’re hitting up.

6 Likes

Code red. Code f******* red. There is a burritos la Palma in highland park now?!?! At la Tropicana market?!?! I’m dead haha. Good things do happen to good people :face_holding_back_tears:

7 Likes

Incredible, thanks for the heads up! That counter inside La Tropicana has flipped a few times over the years so I hope this one sticks.

Between that and Villa’s brick and mortar on Ave 54 (their tacos have grown on me a lot), Metro Balderas, and the totally solid Via-Mar that’s a pretty dope couple blocks.

3 Likes

Correct, with these two additions it finally feels there’s the mass of good Mexican spots the area historically deserves!

2 Likes

14 Likes

Anybody been to Barts Santos since opening day? Is it crazy? Also I’m trying Skaf’s on York today!

4 Likes

yes. wednesday seems to be the slower day. go earlier if you can.

4 Likes

Please report back!!

2 Likes

Thought the kafta was better than the shish kebab. Cabbage salad was really, really good.

Kafta plate: 14
Shish kebab: 17

The mouhommara (11) was tasty, though the pita served alongside it was meh.

I’ll be back and I’ll be back often. Also, do takeout right now. The inside ain’t yet open, so they’ll sit you out front (which honestly is pleasant enough) but the silverware atm is cheap plastic which sucks.

5 Likes

New carnitas on fig. Anybody been?

2 Likes

Gotta officially end me running Hail Mary endorsement. New ownership has not been good smh. Vibes seem like a lamppost pizza in Yorba Linda. Was listening to roar by Katy perry which wasn’t great.

Food is worse too.

7 Likes

Haven’t eaten in since the change but have also noticed a quality dip on takeout stuff, and a creativity dip as far as specials/seasonals go. Still think it’s pretty solid but imo it’s probably fallen out of the top tier and into the same tier as all the other pretty good neo-Nea pizza spots in the neighborhood ie Cosa Buona, Gra, LaSorted’s, etc

2 Likes

Didn’t realize they sold it - yeah major downhill vibes. their base sauce was always too sweet but now it’s fucking candy. even the white pies were slipping last time i was there

1 Like

Yep, the lack of seasonal dishes hurts. Half the reason I’d go in the past was for either their avocado/citrus dish and that super intense tomato salad and neither were on the menu. Might be a tad late for citrus but they literally had a ton of tomatoes on the bar.

I’ll still do takeout when I’m coming in from up north and whatnot but the glory days are long gone :frowning:

1 Like

Had no idea they sold either… was curious if they had some of the non-pizza stuff on the menu that I liked since that’s what made grabbing a pie there even better.

Yeah, maybe a year back at this point. The old staff is fully gone. One of them is working full time in wine now, somebody else was cooking at Dunsmoor and Bavel.

It was a good crew and now it’s an above-average suburban pizza joint.

It was all very hush hush. I found out because I explicitly asked where David was and a server said he was no longer part of the resto, then I reached out on Instagram and the new owners confirmed it.

But none of the veggie dishes are still there. They added some seafood dishes interestingly enough. And like fifteen new pizzas lol

2 Likes

Yellow Paper Burger pop up at Teegee.

Drives me nuts looking at the pics. Anyone been?

It’s very good, though maybe not worth trekking across town for. Lines can get burly so be prepared to drink while you wait.

2 Likes