Northeast Los Angeles eats

It’s one of my favorite smash burgers, not sure how long a drive it is for you, but it’s good.

1 Like

Not super well-versed in carnitas, but I like this stand a lot. I usually get surtido and chicharrón. They are at this location Fri-Sun from morning to 2pm or so.

Here is their IG: https://instagram.com/carnitaselgallohlp?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

3 Likes

thumbs down for me, not worth a drive. kind of a mess.

Amiga Amore anyone? Going tonight, would love some recs. Saw @matthewkang 's write-up, so I’ll def take his thoughts into account!

2 Likes

Definitely report back! I’ve been wanting to try it as well

Ate at their pop-up a while back, was excellent and fun!

If anyone is looking for tacos de fritanga aka proper suadero (this obliquely came up in the CDMX Cocuyos thread), Tacos Lupita VR in Lincoln Heights is definitely a spot. Not quite worth a drive across town but solid. And their salsa bar is pretty extensive, with salsa macha and molcajete in addition to the usual salsa suspects.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtaofF_g2Kh/

7 Likes

My local fritanga spot makes the worst suadero and buche which always makes me sad.

2 Likes

Casual thoughts on Amiga Amore or whatever that spot is called. I liked it–though I thought the pastas were the worst part.

The zucchini bread with salsa matcha was legit, as were the little fritters. Beef tartare was good too. Did not love the seating situation, which is like on a platform mostly behind the restaurant.

I do think the flavors were quite interesting and they’ll continue to get better, so I’ll go visit again somewhat soon.

A nice thing about Amiga Amore is it’s very close to Holcomb, which is my favorite wine bar in NELA! Such good vibes, always

4 Likes

Bad news: the gorgeous building at 56th and Fig is gonna be home to a Mendocino farms :frowning:

Ugh

3 Likes

SHAME! It’s like that Kay and Daves in Culver City that turned into a Shake Shack… ugh… UGH!!!

3 Likes

Feels like that building has been empty for 6 years now. So disappointing.

1 Like

I had the exact same reaction with the Shake Shack in Silverlake. Guess that just marks me as a second wave gentrifier or whatever lol.

2 Likes

And a Jeni’s ice cream…

2 Likes

What a disaster. Was hoping for a showstopper of a restaurant and instead get some mediocre chains. Woof.

1 Like

After the Dunsmoor debacle is that what the community really wants?

just asking the question.

2 Likes

Dunsmoor disaster? Looks like things have blown over and they are doing pretty well.

Also, that corner in Highland Park and the Dunsmoor corner in Glassell Park are very different. Different communities at different stages of gentrification.

4 Likes

Did you see there is a Highly Likely going in that pink building on the other side of Fig and 55th?

Different communities. Good Girl Dinette for reference was across the street literally 12 years ago and that space is now occupied by a vegan burger spot. That part of Fig’s been hot for a while.

Also, a weird thing about HLP is that though there are tons of expensive restaurants, there’s no show stoppers. Hippo is maybe the best fancy resto, but I’d sure like something better. Hopefully Queen Street or whatever that new seafood spot will be the answer.

I admittedly say this as a Mount Washingtonian who eats in Chinatown way more than I do in HLP.

(I do think you pose a legitimate question: but nowadays it’s a question of does Cypress Park need Barra Santos or does Lincoln Heights need like Mazal?)

5 Likes

I didn’t! I think that’s a win for the neighborhood? I like their all-day menu.

Helluva lot better than Mendo smh

My wife though is less pleased and is saying there’s enough coffee shops which is true!

2 Likes