November 2016 Weekend Rundown

So nice to see you posting again. :slight_smile: Haven’t had much (any?) om-rice since Blue Marlin closed down…

1 Like

Been wondering about Mesa Brazilian. They don’t have a website. I didn’t know they had stews (love fish stews), rice bowls and such. My work partner goes with his kids. But he’s not very descriptive about food :wink:. How’d you like it? Nice Portuguese btw.

1 Like

You meant to type ‘Portuguese’, right?

Good report. Nice pictures. I’ve had those chewy gooey cheese balls at Abigaile :kissing:. I didn’t know or forgot both places were from Chef Vuong, now Suburbia. He’s a pretty good restaurateur. Thanks!

1 Like

Oh yes. I’ll edit. 4 hours of sleep, no caffeine. How American of me. But how was it :blush:?

1 Like

Maravilhoso!!!

1 Like

Nice Spanish.

1 Like

Is this around $500? From what I’ve seen, pieces are about $12-$15, so 30 x $13.5 (average of $12 and $15) = $405 + tax ($35.44) + tip ($81) = $521.44.

Curious how close that is.

Get some sleep. Drink some coffee first.

1 Like

Nope… no rest for the wicked.

Saint Dad’s Breakfast

Viola! Eggs and Hash with Niman Ranch Bacon (because their pigs only have one bad day :wink:)

I hacked your garlic bacon @Bookwich. Hack meaning I used garlic powder instead of fresh. But it was still delicious.

…And because we like him

Don’t laugh. His cholesterol has gone down.

Happy weekend eating everyone!

8 Likes

I stop by Sawtelle Tempura House whenever I miss my grandparents’ humble home cooking. The Anzais are one of the last old-school Sawtelle businesses left, and they couldn’t be any kinder. Mihoko put together a pescatarian-friendly bento for me with grilled saba (mackerel), tamagoyaki, sunomono (cucumber pickles), stir-fried veggies, kamaboko, and brown rice. The grilled saba had a lot of bones, but the flavor was earthy and incredibly rich. It was a tad bit on the salty side, but paired nicely with the brown rice, which was fluffy and flavorful. Did I mention my lunch was only $5? And I have leftovers.

Here’s my zhuzhed-up bento, supplemented with some vegetable sushi from Nijiya.

They had posters in their window for Handmaiden and Gimme Danger. It delighted me to no end to see Iggy Pop and the Stooges displayed there. It gives new meaning to Raw Power.

13 Likes

Dang - a woman who knows how to appease a guy’s appetite.

1 Like

Awesome!!!

1 Like

Hehe… should I show him your post, in case he doesn’t appreciate? Nah!

Five bucks? You forgot to drop the mike!

2 Likes

Ouch…

2 Likes

All farm pigs have that bad day. Factory farm pigs have all bad days and the last day is probably their best day - when they go to heaven? I think that’s the message.

2 Likes

Ouch x 2. :wink:

2 Likes

Lunch at Taqueria Los Anaya

4651 West Adams Blvd, L.A, CA 90016

Chicken Soup - Seasoned Chicken Breast, Rice, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Celery, Carrots, Tomatoes, Herbs

The delicious broth was tangy (lime) and garlicky. The chicken breast was tender and not bland. This is comforting and - if you ignore the sodium - it’s a healthy boost after all the soul food eating this week.

Home-made Tortillas

Huevos Rancheros

Elevated by their delicious homemade tortillas.

Fresh Made Churros and Warm Caramel

:kissing_heart: Next time I might order the Hot Chocolate too.

We also had 2 Guacamoles, Chilaquiles, 1 Chicken Mole Taco, Coffee, Horchata, Ice Tea $51.+ tip. Service was really friendly, but a little slow & forgetful.

Nice rainy day lunch.

6 Likes

We were thinking about going to this. But the rain and the big breakfast are making us lazy. This is short notice. But it goes on until 5pm if anyone’s in the 'hood.

http://domainela.com/event/TDayPies/

Domaine LA Wine
6801 Melrose Ave
L.A, 90036

Shout out to @LAgirl. These tastings were a good tip. Thanks!