November 2016 Weekend Rundown

Big fan of BCS and all of its iterations. Tasty beverage.

1 Like

Boss.

3 Likes

[quote=“Bookwich, post:139, topic:4543”]
a pork schnitzel grabbed straight out of the fridge with a paper napkin.
[/quote]This holiday schnitzel thing is interesting. I just watched Christmastime in New Orleans on KCET. Chef John Folse spoke of the “seven distinct nations” coming together to form New Orleans culture and food, Germany being one of them. Then on the program, Chef John Besh did a demo of his family’s X-Mas breakfast. It was a floured, pan-fried pork cutlet on grits, topped with a skosh of pan sauce. He didn’t say it, but I thought “It’s Creole schnitzel”. Is schnitzel a German holiday staple?

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:137, topic:4543”]
Spicy City
[/quote]Dang Chowseeker. You go deep. Calling @Xochitl. I know you were looking for something on the Westside. But here’s a good “pork intestine fix”.

1 Like

You’re eating Fried Protein. With no rice (they don’t serve any rice or noodles); with no vegetables. It just felt kind of unsatisfying
[/quote]I hear ya’. But it’s just not weird to some. Hubby had a hankering and went out for fried chicken recently. If I hadn’t mentioned sides he wouldn’t even have thought about it. He does the same with BBQ. He just gets the sides because.

Large Fried Chicken Breast,
[/quote]I always wonder what makes them so large. Older hens? Capons? Or something more sinister - like hormones, salt water injections… Hmmm.

1 Like

Hormones and a good pounding

1 Like

We are in LA…

1 Like

Hi @TheCookie,

Oh don’t get me wrong, we love Fried Chicken as well (see my Howlin’ Ray’s posts :smile:). I think it was just the mindset going in, seeing it pounded out like a standard Cutlet, we were thinking it’d be served like a more traditional Taiwanese Pork Chop / Chicken Cutlet Rice (with sides and rice); or Japanese Tonkatsu / Chicken Katsu (Cutlet) style (also with rice and sides). :slight_smile:

Also it is really, really oblong and strangely Claim Jumper-esque: It seriously was larger than a Frisbee. :open_mouth: So with no fork / knife / chopsticks in the restaurant (not even paper plates), you’re left holding up this giant flattened Cutlet and ripping off chunks of it like a barbarian or something? :sweat_smile:

I love Spicy City – think it stands with all the better known Sichaun places and has no lines or pretentious BS. And they let you BYO, no corkage/no questions asked,

1 Like

Thanks @CiaoBob for pointing us in the right direction with your rec a few months ago. :slight_smile:

wow, I guess that hot-star large fried chicken is really popular

https://www.google.com/search?q=hot-star+large+fried+chicken&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPjbSXws7QAhVHqlQKHb_SDuMQ_AUICSgC&biw=1214&bih=544#imgrc=ZyQHERkYP0FHbM%3A

I was very happy.

I actually just watched Following for the first time a week or so back. He’s the man, man.

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:141, topic:4543”]
Koreatown dessert tour
[/quote]A nice excursion. If you haven’t been and are in the 'hood again, try Haus by Coffee Hunter on 6th.

[quote=“President_Mochi, post:141, topic:4543”]
The Dragon’s Breath are these lil balls made in liquid nitrogen that produce a smokey fog when you bite into em. They taste like stale Fruit Loops, and you’re afraid for your life the entire time.
[/quote]That is hilarious. If that’s the place on Western, I’ve passed it a few times. There are always crowds of people inside or just hanging outside (lots of teens). They look like they come from all over.

Seems like you had a tasty weekend all around. Good pictures. Thanks for sharing.

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:149, topic:4543”]
Oh don’t get me wrong
[/quote]I’m with you. No sides seems a little awkward. Plus them being freakishly big and strange shaped :smile:.

Spicy City looks interesting. Your pictures are great.

Thanks so much for alerting me to this place! The menu looks like heaven!! Intestine, tripe, blood!!! Now I just need to strong-arm someone into going with me!

2 Likes

Will do!

The one on Western indeed. And yeah. Teen City, Utah. And a bunch of families. Some solid people watching as you blow liquid nitrogen smoke through your nose.

1 Like

No, sausage or fish are staple Christmas Eve dishes.
We usually had fried fish, the schnitzel was for people that don’t like fish. And there was always potato salad, that’s pretty traditional.

2 Likes

Cool. Maybe we’ll start a holiday tradition thread.

1 Like

That could be fun, but just a warning, mine is going to be all over the map. :earth_americas: :wink:

4 Likes

That’s what will make it great.

2 Likes