November 2016 Weekend Rundown

Accumulated weekends from November (sorry, I got lazy about posting after an existential crisis preciptated by an event early in November. :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Milo and Olive:

The food there continues to be great. I, for the life of me, can’t remember what the heck was in the salad (likely b/c a former boss of mine had just walked by, and I attempted to duck under the table while frantically texting my former colleagues). Whatever was in it, I remember it being fine but not outstanding. Second dish is the remains of braised sunchokes + fennel fronds over country bread w/ ricotta + lemon zest. Wow. Rich and comforting. Crust of the pizza remains oustanding.

Panini Cafe (SaMo):

I am ambivalent about this place. This is a pic from one of two visits. This is their moussaka. Does this look any moussaka you’ve ever seen? I assume not. The taste was fine. The price to quantity ratio at this place is INSANE (in a good way). The quality isn’t overtly bad, but you get what you paid for.

Can you overbrine a chicken? One my first visit, I ordered a chicken kabob, and then chicken had the most bizarre “bloated” texture.

Wexler’s Deli (SaMo):

Friday after Thanksgiving. We LITERALLY had the entire place to ourselves. :slight_smile: Is Matzo ball soup very labor intensive? The bowl was $9 (!). Pastrami was more pepper-y than I recall. Quite enjoyed the sandwich; would likely skip the soup (although it was very tasty).

8 Likes

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:162, topic:4543”]
Does this look any moussaka you’ve ever seen?
[/quote]Not really. But then again, I’m not Greek so… I did recently have a tasty dish of moussaka at Ulysses Voyage, Farmers Market/Grove. Passed by a hundred times, but had never gone in. Good food and super hospitality.