November 2021 Rundown

13 Likes

Fat & Flour is back in action! Be there or be square

8 Likes

Monthly visit to Holbox today and I don’t really have much to say about them that hasn’t been said on this board already. Their food is wonderful and I’m so glad they exist especially for folks like myself who can’t really afford places like Providence but still want delicious high quality seafood dishes.

Chips & all the salsas:

Blood clams:

Spot prawn & scallop aguachile:

Sopa de Mariscos:

Pulpo Asado:

21 Likes

Taco nazo fish tacos and shrimp torta. Excellently prepared fish tacos and the torta is the truth like a Mexican style fish fillet w/ shrimp.

Portugal imports Portuguese style tarts. I thought the crust was amazing. I’m not sure if the top was bruleed or there was some type of glazed simple syrup on top of the custard. That glaze made it too sweet otherwise it would’ve been perfect.

16 Likes

Bellflower Taco Nazo is so good!

I will have to try that torta one day.

2 Likes

Oh my god, is that roe on those prawns? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Can’t remember if anyone has expressed an opinion here but I went to El Ruso silver lake tonight and damn was I disappointed.

Muuuushy tortillas, no beans, bland salsas, and worst of all - no smoke whatsoever on the asada, which is a huge departure from the Boyle Heights location, which I actually thought tasted too smoky if anything. On the charcoal/lighter fluid/acrid smoke side.

The birria and chorizo were good, well seasoned and juicy, but the chile colorado had a super weird olive brine flavor that I didn’t enjoy, and without the smoke the asada was just poor quality beef on a flat top. Super bummer.

6 Likes

We were first in line at Au Cheval. The burger, hash browns and matzo ball soup were all fantastic. The dill in the soup and the softball sized ball were great on a cloudy 50 degree day. Maybe the best chicken broth I’ve ever had. Jewish penicillin at its finest.

The burger lived up to the billing. Beefy and well balanced with the pickles and dijonaisse. Toasting both sides of the brioche bun kept everything intact. Really a great burger and well constructed. The hash browns were crunchy and crispy. The duck egg and gravy seemed a bit much for the kids.

h

19 Likes

The burger is bomb.

4 Likes

Tried Noble Bird Rotisserie in Long Beach last night and really enjoyed it. We got the whole chicken, two sides, and a baguette meal for $45.

Whole spicy chicken (Korean chile, lemon, garlic, ginger, tamari, honey):

Butternut squash (candied ginger, cilantro):

Green beans (black bean garlic sauce, Fresno chiles):

Baguette and vegan butter:

12 Likes

Best. Burger. Ever.

2 Likes

Dropped by Employees Only (because it was one of the few places that had availability on a Sunday evening), to find that their outdoor dining space is quite nice. Had a couple of cocktails and their burger. The burger was nice, solid beef on the Martin’s potato bun and crisp shoestring fries. The cocktails here are just a good as NYC.

3 Likes

Have they opened a branch in LA?

no

Maybe I’m basic or whatever, but Pizzeria Mozza will always have my heart. Such a great dinner this evening from start to finish. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Meatballs al forno with sesame toast & herb butter:

Seasonal: stinging nettles, Finocchiona salame, caciocavallo, mozzarella:

Napolitana: mozzarella di bufala, olives, anchovies, chile flakes, fried capers:

Sticky toffee pudding with vanilla gelato and candied pecans:

26 Likes

Going to try to get into Zahav tomorrow wish me luck

6 Likes

Godspeed.

Sarcone’s seeded roll.

Tomato Pie. Simple. I love these jawns.

Return visit to South Philly Barbacoa. Still great. Non gmo Mexican corn grown in Lancaster County.

14 Likes

Cookies and cream donut made to order. The cake donut has a touch of Med/ME spice which I am guessing is from Solomonov. Not quite as good as Oliboli/Sidecar but still good. It’s a hot donut can’t complain.

14 Likes

Simpang Asia last night.

Kroket:

Telur balado:

Beef rendang:

Char kway teow:

Everything was tasty as always and satisfied my craving for Indo/Malay food, but, I feel that lately they’ve been toning down the heat levels on a lot of their dishes and REALLY upping the sweetness. And I say this as someone who likes to drink kecap manis straight from the bottle. The balado in particular had zero heat. :confused:

15 Likes