Oysters - unshucked, in bulk

Awesome recap, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

As much as I like the sound of Sichuan Peppercorn pretty much**ANYTHING** I doubt it would work in a mignonette for me and my oyster.
Great posting.

2 Likes

Bumping this thread.

What’s the status now for 2023? My favorites are Jolly Oyster in Culver City Public Market ($20/doz – maybe they do bulk discounts) and Rappahannock Oyster Bar at the ROW DTLA ($1.50/ea, but it looks like they’re not taking orders for them on Toast at the moment. I work nearby so I just pop in when I need my fix.).

2 Likes

we get ours in boxes at Restaurant Depot. Check the ones at with live seafood. Nothing unusual and typically only west coast options from Taylor Shellfish and from Baja.

2 Likes

Whole Foods has a dollar Friday oyster day every Friday. Sometimes they even have kumamotos.

1 Like

$1 per oyster is kind of steep if you’re buying in bulk.

Just called Universal Seafood and remembered to ask how much oysters were right now. I was told Kumiai and another type I didn’t remember were currently $15.99/dozen

That seems about right for off season options.

Bulk is to me more like 100 or a bushel. Wholesale quantities.

Next time I’ll ask if they have discounted prices for larger amounts but all the price lists for oysters I’ve gotten from Universal Seafood and other wholesalers in LA and the Bay Area are by the dozen. Then again, I buy oysters once or twice a year absolute max

1 Like

I swung by Goldfish Seafood in DTLA last Saturday because I happened to be in the area while they were still open. They have a case of oysters for $100 (~$.83/oyster) and weirdly $23.40/dozen for the same oysters which is a pretty big price difference. The person helping couldn’t get more specific about the type of oyster other than “MEDIUM LIVE PACIFIC OYSTER”, though.

2 Likes

Pasedena RD had case kumamotos for $83, higata for 73x and kumai for 60 something. I believe there’s 60 in case

1 Like

Picked up an order from Universal Seafood and their Kumiai oysters are currently $12.99/dozen but I was told they don’t sell them in other increments like a case or bushel. Odd.

1 Like