Oysters - unshucked, in bulk

Good advice I am sure. I frequented Hog Island 20 years ago. Used to have a traveling pinochle game with Marin French Cheese camembert, Boudin’s sourdough bread, and Hog Island kumamotos - oh and wine - probably too much wine - we were young. Occasionally we would head to the opposite side of the bay to grill kebabs at Tomales Bay State park. Tomales Bay is the best swimming in the area. While it is reputed to be a Great White Shark breeding ground I never saw one. I miss the Bay Area.

3 Likes

Alternatively Tomales Bay oyster Co. a few miles away from HI is a bit more rustic but better prices. Seemed to have a higher % of locals vs HI

1 Like

Rustic is good…very good

1 Like

+1 on scenic dining options in the Bay Area. Love Point Reyes, and really miss the tomales Bay Area oyster farm experience.

1 Like

Just an update with some pics:

We didn’t get the Kumamotos :angry: but that ended up being no big deal because the mild, sweet Blue Points - just a catchall for East Coast oysters, I think - and the briny Sol Azuls were a fine compliment for each other. Plus, to make up for the absence of the Kumamotos, WF discounted my price even further, I ended up paying under $110 for 120 oysters.

I shucked close to 80 yesterday. Hands are still cramped. Served with a variety of beers, a sublime Szechuan peppercorn mignonette (peppercorns sourced from Spice Table in Silver Lake) and an incredibly delicious, crisp and cold, skin-fermented Pinot Gris.

Here are some screen grabs of video we shot for a pilot I’m putting together about the use of spices, how the pursuit of spices drove civilizations, culture, cuisine, etc.

10 Likes

Nii-ice!! You’re a trooper for shucking all those for your guests.

Szechuan peppercorns in mignonette - how’d that work out?

1 Like

Nice update!
I trained some of my oyster fiends to shuck to avoid being the sole shucker at our get togethers. Great price on the oysters!

2 Likes

The dude shucking in the top pic is not me. He’s a friend and chef who is serving as talent for our pilot. I ended up shucking most of them in the kitchen, off-camera. I hadn’t shucked an oyster in more than ten years but once you get into a rhythm, you can just crank 'em out. The Blue Points were significantly harder to shuck than the Sol Azuls.

The Szechuan peppercorn mignonette was fantastic - champagne vinegar, shallots, chives, Szechuan peppercorns - although, truth be told, I’m more of a simple squeeze of lemon sort of guy.

2 Likes

One of the reasons I love island creek oysters, very easy to shuck. Relatively even flat top and deep cup, great if albeit expensive training material :smile:. Their farming technique yields a very uniform product.

1 Like

Pictures! Love it.

This thread is making me really appreciate WF customer service. And that price!

1 Like

[quote=“Jemange, post:45, topic:3334”]
a pilot I’m putting together about the use of spices, how the pursuit of spices drove civilizations, culture, cuisine, etc.
[/quote] This is a good coincidence for me. I was going to start a post asking where in L.A. to get good spices. Egs., Curries, Mexican chili powders, etc. Thoughts?

Go to Spice Station in Silver Lake. It is absolutely fantastic - Peter and Bronwen know their stuff - plus it’s just an absolutely beautiful retail location.

2 Likes

Great thanks!

1 Like

They’re stealing my flow, Ipse.

I know a good lawyer. Or two. Or three.

Shit, who am I kidding, I could get you a whole zip code of lawyers if need be

4 Likes

Surfa’s is another option, and if Epicurious (the post Epicure Imports incarntaion) ever opens for business they will be another good resource. Amazon is a good internet source as is Zingerman’s.

1 Like

Sounds very good. Did you toast the peppercorns? I’ve found that makes quite a difference.
Agree about mignonette being a bit over the top. With fresh oysters I like them straight up.

Yup. Just a minute or so in a hot cast iron skillet prior to adding to the rest of the ingredients.

Is that Cafe Surfas?

The cafe is in the store (one of the benefits of shopping there is getting a snack or meal at the cafe (their kobe burger is delicious among other things). Its on the corner of Washington and National, 8777 Washington in Culver City. They have a great selection of spices. Expensive ones like vanilla and saffron are behind the counter. I know they are planning on moving the store soon, but I think they are still open. There is also a location in Costa Mesa.

1 Like