Paella Party by Savory Roads (FTC Meetup): A Pictorial Essay

A perpetual search for a great paella in L.A. continues with the latest FTC meetup this weekend! The lovely home of @Ciaobob and @LouisianaMouth was the setting, and our intrepid chefs from Savory Roads proved to be more than up to the task!

An enticingly fragrant ‘Casa Ciaobob’ cocktail (ask the man for the secret ingredient) started the party right!

In addition to Iberian cooking, Savory Roads flexed their Latin American muscles with this lovely assortment of ceviche…

Tapas presentation was mind-blowingly good: Gazpacho shots, salchichón/chorizo/fuet platter, manchego & membrillo, as well as tortilla de patatas kept all the guest really happy…

Commencing paella prep: Chef Roger was engaging and dropped much knowledge on us guests about his art. The man has cooked paella all over Spain…

The aroma from Chef Roger’s sofrito was outrageous!

Waiting for the bomba rice to boil down, and the socarrat to form…

Paella party time!!! The finished product looks (and smells) incredible…

More than plenty of food for all of us…

Scrape that pan bottom for the socarrat!

Marvelous!

Thanks to @chewchow for bringing Atxa pacharán - This wondrous Basque concoction hails from Alava, and proved to be a superb post-meal digestif…

Housemade French Silk Pie, courtesy of our gracious hostess @LouisianaMouth- Truly dreamy, through and through. I am told this is a favorite of our polymath food critic/filmmaker/barrister @kevin

The Basque theme continues! Many FTCers loved the Basque cheesecake from République - HUGE thanks to @ebethsdad for sponsoring this dessert!

Pretty much perfect housemade strawberry balsamico ice cream, from @LouisianaMouth… Wow!

Röckenwagner Bakery cookies were fantastic. Chocolate chip cookie death match candidate provided by @DoughnutsFC

A convivial, engaging time was had by all. It was great to be back in IRL mode with fellow FTCers. The paella mixta by Chef Roger and Chef Paul at Savory Roads set the bar really high. But the quest never ends - We must try more in the future!

34 Likes

Whoa!

1 Like

With that extra patxaran make Martín Berasategui’s arroz con leche aromatizado

Looks like a fantastic meal! What’s in the cocktail?! @CiaoBob

3 Likes

That is the most legit paella I ever seen

5 Likes

Damn.

1 Like

Wowowow!

2 Likes

Now I think I know how I want to celebrate my birthday.

1 Like

I would recommend asking for dark meat chicken if you use Savory Roads. The white meat chicken was too dry.

3 Likes

Miles Davis Sketches Of Spain would be perfect for this Paella Party

4 Likes

:100::100::100::100::100:

2 Likes

Next time, I’d also ask Chef Roger to keep the shrimp heads ON (he didn’t know our party was a group of savage shrimp head suckers LOL). And while you’re asking for Free Bird, splurge for carabineros prawns (or at least spot prawns) to top that paella… :smiley:

2 Likes

Hahahhaah if you’re going to get the carabineros might as well get liebre en vez de pollo! So much flavor. That’s a good looking paella btw

2 Likes

Fantastic looking dinner party! :hearts:

4 Likes

OMG I think Chef Tetsu (ex-Spago, who staged at Berasategui) told me about this years ago. I gotta try this.

1 Like

… or any day of the week that ends in the letter ‘y’. :wink:

Wow! What a great idea and execution!

3 Likes

Roger does offer wabbit :rabbit2:.

3 Likes

Roger Rabbit?!

5 Likes

It’s not bad…it’s just drawn that way.

5 Likes

Delicious classic G&T’s and incredibly deep and rounded red sangria.

2 Likes