Pardon if this question has been asked...where can I get a legit gyro, not gyro-loaf?

They literally have a sign saying they have 100% hand-stacked lamb gyro lol

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/alexanders-greek-kitchen-vernon?select=_WQ7rVqWvRBAYDsm0VKI1w

I wish they didn’t close at 4 PM…I’d enjoy trying that actually.

They play one of my favorite genres of music in the shop which is nice. I’m surprised they are still in business though given this article from a year ago:

http://www.laweekly.com/music/alexanders-greek-kitchen-is-the-most-punk-new-restaurant-in-la-5050513

1 Like

if only they played nonstop vintage rembetika, now THAT would be punk.
might even get me there.

Yeah and closed on weekends. :frowning: That is probably no one had mentioned, let alone tried them before. But having worked in Vernon myself, they have way more than enough business there to support themselves during those hours. Plus, they probably get some spill over business from the work at home/production staff Arts District types.

–Dommy!

Tried the regular gyro at Mega yesterday It was really pretty good. I’m not much of a tea drinker but the Persian tea was nice as well. Definitely interested in trying the pizza gyro sandwich and falafel as well

2 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! If you liked the wrap, the pizza gyro sandwich is definitely worth a try. The portions are also quite generous. I can easily split one of those plus a salad for lunch.

Due to this thread, I tried Mega Pizza today. Very impressed. Had the pizza gyro sandwich, and it was huge – only got thru half. “Pizza” only refers to the baked, crisp-crusted wrap; there is no cheese or tomato sauce. Gyro was from a loaf, but was very plentiful. Garlic sauce was more subdued and runny than Zankou, but good. For an order-at-counter place, service was very helpful. Value definitely high for a satisfying lunch plus a big snack later. I’ll be back.

1 Like

Really pleased you enjoyed it! I had a feeling you might appreciate the good value @nosh!

I hit up Alexander’s today, because why not?

They no longer do hand-stacked lamb, and the guy running the place recommended the chicken oddly enough (over the pork).

I thought the pita was better than GGG, chicken was kind of unusually spiced, but also somewhat dry and not as crispy as you’d think it would be. Fries are like large In-n-Out fries, I vastly prefer GGG’s. The tomatoes were fresh and tasty though, and the tzaziki is really good, very thick, which is something I personally like a lot, more yogurt-y than cucumber-y though. For some reason I found the overall flavors of the sandwich very addictive and pleasant, especially with some of the thick vinegar they have there.

I’m not sure it’s destination-worthy though, overall I think the crispy meat and golden fries at GGG are preferable, plus way more accessible, but if I worked in Vernon I’d be happy to hit the place up regularly, and it seems like they have many regulars, so good for them.

I still really want to try hand-stacked lamb… wonder why people only do chicken or pork hand-stacked? I gotta go to that Westwood place…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEMUSPYE0LQ/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

1 Like

Some promising looking leads from eater

no gyro.

Sunny Grill, in Mar Vista (on Venice Blvd.)…

Praise be to FSM, pork AND lamb loaf gyros can be had at Gyromania in Santa Clarita. QPR is out of control, crispy edges all over, and giant side of tzatziki w/o having to ask for it.

3 Likes

I’m addicted to their unfortuantely named “OMG” spicy green sauce.

20180823_182915

It is very good. Reminds me of a Peruvian aji sauce

Need to check this place out! I have a lunch friend who lives in SC. Time for me to drive that way!

Oh wow! I was about to ask what a “loaf” is but this is one of those picture/thousand word things, eh?

Not true gyro, but I vastly prefer the doner kebabs at Berlin’s over any of the gyro places around town.