Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Sure! Who doesn’t need a new challenge? Keeps the brain stimulated! :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m sure you thought about it already - Ghost Kitchen. Chicken is forgiving post poaching.

Pic stolen from the web

And :point_up_2: is in the sweltering tropical climes

2 Likes

Hi @Hungrydrunk - I was speaking more to the ordering system. I’ve had similar problems as @PorkyBelly where I did as instructed and texted the day before but was told I was texting too early and could I text the same thing later. What? I have to text the same thing later instead of the person just looking at my text later. I said (wrote) okay, what time later and s/he couldn’t give me a time. So I took a chance and IG’d. Bingo! That was a lot of chicken chasing… and was before the Infatuation explosion. This is not a criticism as @JLee is a FTC member and we all want to see PRD have continued success. But some might not be as persistent. Having someone set up an ordering system (hours, cutoffs, etc.) and/or a dedicated order taker would be helpful to the customers and possibly ease pressure on Chef. M2C.

P.S. I thought of a ghost kitchen too @Sgee. Would be interested in hearing about the pros/cons.

3 Likes

ah…thought you meant the production of hainan chicken not the ordering system.

1 Like

Haha, I read your post again and realized we were talking about different things. Yah, the kitchen looks small. But the Hainan Chicken is so yummy!

1 Like

every damn time I buy the char siu on noodles.

moresauce

9 Likes

This is why I love the sorrowful rice so much. So much sauce…just like how I loved eating it growing up.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHYSusBDVQK/?igshid=1oqsrea2e4lgt

@JLee is doing a dedication to pok pok this week

On a side note it’s crazy how Ricker went from culinary empire to all restaurants closed so quickly. I feel like at one point he was on par with David Chang in terms of national recognition.

11 Likes
4 Likes

@JeetKuneBao

9 Likes

Those sticky wings are insane!

1 Like

With the caveat that this is just one schmuck’s opinion, that schmuck being me, the food was great at pok pok and the overall experience miserable. Five or so visits spread out over a number of years in both Portland and LA, and each time was disorganized, sullen, or overbearing. The menu read like a lecture, and the food could never quite make up for all the annoyances.

I know Night Market doesn’t have to be the comparison, but that restaurant figured how to make each meal a party, for a better or worse.

4 Likes

I never had that experience at any of the Portland pok poks, but we were definitely one and done at the LA iteration.

1 Like

you should really try holy basil

3 Likes

hoi thawt

ike’s wings

18 Likes

hainan chicken going back to tock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHvrwp2jyZQ/

5 Likes

And there is also this:

edit: nevermind

12 Likes

Event now cancelled due to coronavirus surging

5 Likes

Thanks for being considerate. We are seeing a rise in hospital admissions. Stay safe, everyone.

11 Likes

Stay safe, thank you for your service

4 Likes